Menu

math after MEMS

lgliser

My 6th grade girls have been using Mastering Essential Math Skills book 2 this year. Before that they were struggling through CLE. I liked CLE but it took so long for them to do a lesson. I thought MEMS would be a good fit since the lessons are short and to the point. I was hoping it would give them a good boost of confidence and I think it has.

The author says that 1/3 of students who complete that book go straight into an algebra program. I do not think my girls are in that 1/3.

Has anyone else been in that boat? What would be next for them? I see he has a pre-algebra book but it looks short and I'm not sure it's intended to be a full curriculum and last a year. 

Does it really matter if it is a full year?  If that curriculum is working for them, then I would probably move on to the pre-algebra and not borrow trouble quite yet.

If the pre-algebra does end up being a good fit for them, then they could do that and then maybe go through Hands on Equations which is a very gentle, visual, concrete introduction to balancing equations.  Maybe at that point they would be ready to move on to algebra.

Does it really matter if it is a full year?  If that curriculum is working for them, then I would probably move on to the pre-algebra and not borrow trouble quite yet.

Good point. Even after 5 1/2 years of homeschooling, it's hard for me to think of a curriculum that doesn't last a whole year.

Thank you!