Menu

CM High School Science

Bocky

So how does one implement a multiple strand science in high school, still leaving the door open for pursuing science in college, but without overwhelming the average student? I am interested in your this-might-work thoughts and your been-there-done-that experiences.

11 hours ago, Bluegoat said:

o, what do people mean when they say "multi-strand"?  And in what way to they see that as CM?

Multi-strand: not single-focusing on one branch of science exclusively each year, eg 9th grade = Biology, 10th grade = Chemistry 11th grade = Physics, but studying science in a more integrated way, highlighting and exploring connections between the disciplines rather than studying them in isolation. Ursa Minor Learning seems to do this by having multiple areas of science focus happening together. For example, in 9th grade, they schedule Biology and Nature Study all three terms, and one term each of Chemistry, Medicine, and Engineering. I have tried to do this for dd14 (at her request) this year by using Trefil and Hazen's textbook The Sciences: An Integrated Approach (the one on which the Great Courses Joy of Science lectures are based). The Sciences has a "big ideas" focus, and works to make cross-disciplinary connections within the various branches of science. (Unfortunately, the textbook is proving a bit too dense for us at this point, and I think she will switch to Derek Owen's Physical Science curriculum.)

Seeing it as CM: I am very far from an expert, but reading about and working on more than one topic in every subject (by subject I mean history, science, English et c.) at the same time seems very characteristic of the CM approach. Am I misunderstanding the approach?

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

This one has been tough for me- I thought I had a high school science path carved for dd upon her interests and what she cared about, and I am now second guessing myself to no end. I feel like US colleges have become insanely schizophrenic in the last 5-10 years, both in what they want, and in what they claim to produce as far as a usable end product- both of which are making it  harder to predict what will and what will not be a big deal for entrance and completion. 

Coming from my end of a career, I honestly think very few jobs really give two figs about what your undergraduate degree is as long as you have one. But that's also easier to say and harder to say confidently when I know that can really hinder my dd down the line if I'm wrong........anyway, I'm not sure what it looks like to move outside of that standard 4 year box checking science experiment.

I am struggling with this too. Right now DD is very into creative writing, art and crafting, and shows cautious interest in creative writing/digital art/comics programs for college, but she also says she might be interested in something like chemistry. (She is really enjoying Guesthollow's Kitchen Chemistry, which I added as an elective to breathe some life into her science year.) But folks on the high school board are very clear that programs like Guesthollow are not college prep, so I feel I need to have DD do college prep science as well as the more interesting programs that she actually enjoys...which I guess provides multiple strands of science (lol) but is time intensive. So second guessing here too, and wondering what other options/approaches there might be.

20 hours ago, Bocky said:

Multi-strand: not single-focusing on one branch of science exclusively each year, eg 9th grade = Biology, 10th grade = Chemistry 11th grade = Physics, but studying science in a more integrated way, highlighting and exploring connections between the disciplines rather than studying them in isolation. Ursa Minor Learning seems to do this by having multiple areas of science focus happening together. For example, in 9th grade, they schedule Biology and Nature Study all three terms, and one term each of Chemistry, Medicine, and Engineering. I have tried to do this for dd14 (at her request) this year by using Trefil and Hazen's textbook The Sciences: An Integrated Approach (the one on which the Great Courses Joy of Science lectures are based). The Sciences has a "big ideas" focus, and works to make cross-disciplinary connections within the various branches of science. (Unfortunately, the textbook is proving a bit too dense for us at this point, and I think she will switch to Derek Owen's Physical Science curriculum.)

Seeing it as CM: I am very far from an expert, but reading about and working on more than one topic in every subject (by subject I mean history, science, English et c.) at the same time seems very characteristic of the CM approach. Am I misunderstanding the approach?

Well, CM does often have students working on more than one topic at a time.  But I'd not have said it was strictly necessary, at all levels at all times.  Sometimes there is a need for more concentration one thing for a tim, especially for older students..  There isn't anything in her principles that suggests this is a fundamental.

I actually find the idea of doing only one science a year odd, and for the matter the way American high schools seem to divide up math with one major things a year - geometry say. When I was in school, math was a lot more mixed together, and people did one to three science courses, depending on their interests. In grade 10 I did integrated science and biology, in 11 I did chemistry and oceanography, and in 12 I did another of biology.  

But for CM, I'd look at doing whatever makes sense for coursework over the three o four years, be it a canned program or outside class, being good is really the most important thing.  And I'd make sure there was reading significant books and nature study as well.  

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:37 AM, OKBud said:

With all apologies to everyone who knows more than I do, average freshman courses aren't overly onerous. [I want to say they ain't sh^t, but I won't because you're all so nice 😄]. Appropriately difficult, yes, but that's not the same thing.

I do not understand why people write as if you have to be doing college work at 16 or else you won't be ready for college at 18. 

It's true that a lot of incoming freshmen aren't ready for average university work, but I don't think they come from diligently working UP through a well-suited course of study. Truly learning- internalizing- the material in such a way that they won't easily forget it, nor fail to integrate it when they learn something new, as they go. 

There a lot of ways to begin college unprepared, but I don't think not doing college work in high school is one of them by default. 

This is encouraging - thank you!

Do you have recommendations about high school science curricula that you think could work for a CM-approach inclined student?

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:44 PM, Bluegoat said:

Well, CM does often have students working on more than one topic at a time.  But I'd not have said it was strictly necessary, at all levels at all times.  Sometimes there is a need for more concentration one thing for a tim, especially for older students..  There isn't anything in her principles that suggests this is a fundamental.

I actually find the idea of doing only one science a year odd, and for the matter the way American high schools seem to divide up math with one major things a year - geometry say. When I was in school, math was a lot more mixed together, and people did one to three science courses, depending on their interests. In grade 10 I did integrated science and biology, in 11 I did chemistry and oceanography, and in 12 I did another of biology.  

But for CM, I'd look at doing whatever makes sense for coursework over the three o four years, be it a canned program or outside class, being good is really the most important thing.  And I'd make sure there was reading significant books and nature study as well.  

Good point about the utility of focusing on one topic in high school, when depth of study is becoming important. And I would double-like "make it good is the most important thing" if I could (grin). I'd love to hear any recommendations you have for curricula/courses, and for significant books and nature study. I loved your comments on the philosophical/spiritual underpinnings of nature study in the other thread. I will sneak Law's Guide to Nature Drawing back into dd14's reading pile, but are there any other resources you've liked?

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

What I wish more people did was come back after full launch- like after college and after the kid is out on their own, and share how it all turned out, what they're glad they did, what mattered/didn't and what they wished they'd done differently, because I doubt it ever turns out as planned, and I also doubt that it all ended up being as big of a deal. 

I say that now, but then periodically I get caught up in a tree freaking out and needing to be talked down, LOL. It usually happens after I've spent to much time on the High School boards here. 😂

Help me, Aethelthryth the Texan, you're my only hope! I am caught up a tree freaking out! Just kidding (grin)

Should I seize my courage in both hands and post a question like this - either my original question above or your what-was-your-experience question - on the high school or college board?

• 3 weeks later...