Menu

Kolbe Miller Levine vs. FundaFunda Biology vs.... (other options)

Hi Everyone,

I am planning ahead for next year and trying to figure out what to do for science for my oldest son.   He will be in 7th grade, and he is a bit of a "2E" kid.  He loves science with a passion, and he especially loves biology and animals.   I've had to learn the hard way this year that most (all?) middle school science kits are pretty much busy work for him at this point.  (He has done so much self-directed learning, that he already knows most of the concepts.)   

I floundered around with what to do with him this year and basically settled on using Kolbe's "Introduction to Physics and Chemistry" syllabus which uses Prentice Halls Physical Science Concepts in Action as a text.   He is also doing the Quality Science Physical Science kit for labs.   I was a bit burnt out doing so much "planning" for all of the kids, and I really needed an affordable option that was open-and-go.   He is not the best "planner", but the syllabus made it very easy for him to just work through the text with a little help from me.

Science is going OK...but it hasn't been our best year.  He is getting an A on all of the tests and able to do the math just fine. However, as far as science textbooks go, this one is just 
"Meh".  (I am not someone who is anti-textbook.   I have discovered some textbooks that really do make the topic come alive.  This is just not one of them.)  I guess I have just been spoiled by the science programs we have used in previous years.   We both feel that this one is not very clear in its explanations.   Most of the material is a review for him, but If we hadn't covered the material in the past, I am not sure he would understand.  Some of the test questions have also been poorly written IMHO.    I'm also not sure there is going to be a lot of retention. Again, all of these things were hard to tell based on the limited samples available and reviews I could gather before purchasing.   

In hindsight, I should have probably just started an easy high school biology course with him.  That is what he is interested in.  I was previously worried that he would struggle with some of the chemistry in the first few chapters of most HS level texts, but I realize now he would have been fine.   Or perhaps there are better written physical science courses....like the Novare book.   But again, it is so hard to tell how a course is going to work until you start teaching it...you know?

--------

Long story short :) --  I am trying to look ahead to next year.    One option I am considering is using the Kolbe syllabus with the Miller Levine textbook.   I am also considering FundaFunda biology course.    Can anyone compare the two?   Or review either?   Or offer other alternatives I should consider?