Menu

Good research/source book for modern times?

hollyhock2

About once per month, I have my middle school kids do a mini history research project (very basic - just reading about an event or person of their choosing, taking notes and writing a short report). The problem is, we are in modern times, doing history from SOTW 4, and I have very few other books that they can use to research modern events and people. I have lots of resources for other time periods, but not for modern. What sort of book could I get that would be appropriate for about 5th-8th grades where they could look up modern people and events? It could be a textbook or maybe one of those history encyclopedias? Any ideas for me?

DK Millennium: Children's History of the 20th Century -- gr. 4-8; world events/people
National Geographic Eyewitness to the 20th Century -- gr. 4-8; world events/people
Usborne History of the 20th Century -- gr. 4-8; world -- much more brief than the above 2, but would yield ideas for topics for deeper research
Life Magazine: Our Century in Pictures for Young People -- gr. 4-8; U.S. events/people

• Like 2