Menu

College Board Opportunity Scholarships

Sebastian (a lady)

College Board has unveiled a new scholarship program that gives scholarships based on completing college prep readiness steps: Making a college list, practicing for the SAT, improving their SAT score, refining the college list, submitting a FAFSA, and applying to college.  There are awards based on completing each step and an award based on completing all six steps.  Scholarship winners are selected through monthly drawings of students who are eligible.

One report said that a portion of the scholarships would be reserved for students from lower income families.

https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/?excmpid=vt-00248

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/10/18/college-board-scholarship-sat-gpa-admissions-applications-low-income-students/1670353002/

I like that the steps here are generally prudent tasks for a college bound student to take.  I also like that this is something that any student who makes effort could be eligible for, not only students in the top 1%.  I like that it includes a refining the college list step to look at academic safety, likely and reach schools.

A small part of me points out that the individual awards are small (except for the big $40,000 scholarships) and only awarded to a relatively small number of students.  It makes College Board look generous and cutting edge.  But their only products are tests, CSS profiles, and data collected on students.  (Eta: The money for the scholarships comes from student fees and selling student data.)  But about half of these actions are things I want my kid to do anyway.  And College Board is going to collect the fees and data in any event.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 3