Menu

CAP W&R 2018-2019

Pegs

Link to previous year's thread: 

We are currently spending every second week on lessons from the fable book. We're just finishing up lesson three this week. Here's DS' work, which he typed himself. 

Narration:
The weather was burning hot and the birds could find nothing to drink. Even the creek beds carried only sand. A crow found a pitcher with a little bit of water but she could not reach it because the pitcher was too narrow for her to get the water. "Surely I will die, as I cannot reach this water," said the crow. But then she had an idea and went to collect some pebbles. She plunked the pebbles into the pitcher and the water rose until it was at a point where she could drink it.

Rewrite - amplification
Once there was a black crow that lived where a bad drought was happening.  It was so bad that the only water she found was a little bit in a clay pitcher. But the clay neck was a little too narrow for the crow. "I must die of thirst, I am too weak to survive this drought" thought the crow. And then she had an idea. She saw some rocks and thought "I guess I could use the rocks to make the water level go up". And she did it..

... and it worked! the water tasted like a good meal in the crow's belly.

Rewrite - summary
Once there was a hare and a partridge.  One day some hunting dogs came in the meadow and then the hare got eaten by the dogs.

Later the partridge came out of hiding and teased the dead hare. But then a hawk took the partridge to its nest and ate it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From last week.

I typed the narration:
A Fox one day spied a beautiful bunch of ripe grapes hanging from a vine twisting around the branches of a tree. He thought, "Yum. Those grapes look good." He tried to jump at them. He failed on his first attempt. He thought, "I must get those grapes. They are the sweetest and juiciest in all of Greece." So he walked a little way away from the grapes then took a running leap towards the grapes. He fell too short. Then he thought, "Fool. Why am I wasting my time on these grapes? They're probably sour anyway." And then he walked off.

He typed his rewrite independently, then I sat with him while he checked for capital letters and punctuation at the ends of sentences.

Once a meerkat saw a yummy scorpion but it was too far down the hole and it thought, "If only I could get that scorpion. It must be the yummiest scorpion in all of Africa." But the meerkat was too tired to dig it up. She tried grabbing it but she missed. "You know what? I can't get the scorpion. Well I guess its bad anyway," thought the meerkat. And walked off.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this week's lesson over three days, as we'll be travelling for the rest of the week. DS typed his assignments himself.

Narration 
An ass was being driven along a road leading down the mountainside, and the animal suddenly took it in his silly head to choose his own path. He could see his barn. To him the fastest way to get there was to use the cliff. He went to it and the driver pulled and said "Stop you're gonna fall down and break your neck!" But the ass kept trying to get to the cliff. "You ass you're as good as dead see how long you last." said the driver and let go. The ass went bumping down to the cliff.

moral 
Listen to good advice when thinking of taking the road to death

Amplification
A stupid ass wanted to take the shortest path home to the farm by going over a very steep mountain cliff. He pulled on his reins. His master felt annoyed and baffled. He tried to stop the despicable ass and grabbed his tail, but at last was forced to let go. The stubborn beast fell down the steep cliff to his death.
Moral: Listen carefully to important advice and don't take the path to destruction.

• 1 month later...

Belling the cat

Narration

Something had to be done about the cat. There was no mouse that didn't know about the stories of mice being gobbled up by the cat. They were so terrified they never left their dens, day or night. 

So one day they had a meeting to get rid of this cat. But all the ideas were bad, until a young mouse said, "I have a simple plan and I know it'll work, it's to put a bell on it so when ever it comes we can run, for our lives." Everyone was surprised that they had not thought of it. A wise old mouse said, "It's a good plan but, who will bell the cat?"

Rewrite

Something had to done about the hawk. There was no meerkat who had not heard of the stories of them being ripped to shreds.

So there was a meeting but all the ideas were bad until a young meerkat said, "I know let's make a new nest!". All the meerkats were surprised that they had not thought of it. "It's a good plan but who will abandom their home?" a wise meerkat said.

• 4 weeks later...

The Shepherd Boy and the Wolf

Narration
A Shepherd Boy tended his Master's sheep near a dark forest not far from the village. He was bored, "Im so bored. All I can do is talk to my dog and sheep are boring they just - baa baa - eat grass." he said. The sherperd said he could say, WOLF! In case a wolf came to eat the sheep. That gave him a good idea for some fun he shouted,"WOLF WOLF WOLF HELP." The villagers run to help him but found no wolf and it happened a few days later. One day a wolf really did come to the herd of sheep to eat he shouted,"WOLF HELP IT'S REAL THIS TIME WOLF WOLF WOLF HELP HELP I AM NOT LYING THIS TIME." But they thought fake, we wont fall for that again.

Sentence play
I have nothing to do to amuse myself except for wait I had an idea.
I have nothing to do to amuse myself except for watching the clouds.
I'm so excited! I can go home for the town story tellers.

Replacing nouns

The towns men heard a shout and dropped their tools, running in great panic to the pasture.

Scarier opening 
There was a village and it had a pack of wolves near it. A sherperd boy heard the howl of one.

Summary
The was a bored sherped boy who was look out for sheep. he had an idea and called "HELP WOLF HELP HELP." The villagers came to help but they found it was a trick. Some time that week there really was a wolf then "HELP I'M NOT LYING HELP WOLF." But they did not.

Edited by Pegs

• 2 weeks later...

The Tale of the Chinese Farmer

Narration
Once there was a prosperous Farmer in China who owned a tall and strong Work Horse. But then he escaped. The other farmers came to say "we are sorry for your bad day." And the farmer said "How do you know it's a bad day?" 
A few weeks later the horse returned with two other beautiful female horses. The farmers came to cheer for his good luck. "Three from one that's a good day!" and the farmer said "How do you know it's a good day?" 
The next day his son tried to catch one of the wild horses and broke his leg. The farmers came and said "We are sorry for your bad day." "How do you know it's a bad day?" said the farmer. While his son was sick a war started. The soldiers came to their  village for boys and men to fight in the war. When a soldier came into his son's room he thought he was too sick to fight in the war and left. The farmers came and cheered. "Your son is safe this is a good day." "How do you know it's a good  day?" Said the farmer.

Sentence play
When the soldiers left the village, the Farmer's Neighbours stopped by the Farmer's house.
When the soldiers left the village, the Farmer's Neighbours mourned for days because the farmer's son was taken.
When the soldiers left the village, the Farmer's Neighbours cheered.
When the murder took place, it was dark.

Copiousness
During a storm, the horse broke out of his red, wooden barn.
During a storm, the horse broke out of his blue, brick barn.
During a storm, the male, black and brown horse broke out of his red, wooden barn.
During a storm, the Goat broke out of his red, wooden stable.

The Farmer's Son was kicked by the horse.
The horse kicked the farmer's son.

Boys were forced by soldiers to join the army.
The soldiers forced boys to join the army.

Amplification by extension
When the soldiers had left the village, the Farmer's Neighbours stopped by the Farmer's house to cheer his good luck. "Your son is safe!" the Neighbours said. "This is a very good day."
"How do you know it is a good day?" the Farmer asked.
A couple of months later, a plague broke out in their town. The farmer and his son got sick. The Farmer's Neighbours came to visit. They said, "Wow! A plague in the town. This is very bad luck. This is a very bad day."
"How do you know it is a bad day?" the Farmer asked.

• 2 weeks later...

The Trees Choose a King

Narration 
One day, the Trees went out to anoint a King for themselves. They said to the Olive Tree, "Be our King." 
"Should I give up my oil that both men and gods need?" said the Olive Tree.

The Trees went to the Fig Tree and said "Be our King." 
"Should I give up my sweet fruit to be King?" said the Fig Tree.

Then the trees went to the grape vine and said "Be our King." 
"Should I give up my wine to be king?" asked the Grape Vine.

Then the Trees went to a thorn bush and said "Be our King." 
The bush said, "If you want me to be your king then sure. But if I don't become king you will burn."

Dictation
To get the juice out of grapes, some people crush them with their feet. First, they pour the grapes into a barrel. Next, they use their bare feet to stamp on the fruit. It sounds like fun if you don't mind purple toes.

Sentence play
The nut Tree replied, "Should I give up my nuts, so crunchy and tasty, to rule over the trees?"

The peach Tree replied, "Should I give up my Peaches, so juicy and delicious, to rule over the Trees?"

The chewing gum Tree replied, "Should I give up my chewing gum, so chewy and tasty, to rule over the trees?"

Rewrite
The Animals wanted to crown a new king, so they went to the lion and said, "Be our king." The lion said, "Should I give up my speed, running through the hot sand, to be your king?" 

Then the Animals went to the eagle and said, "Be our king." The eagle said, "Should I give up my claws, so sharp and so shiny, to become king?"

Then the Animals went to the blue whale and said, "Be our king." The whale said, "Should I give up my song, so pretty and peaceful, to become king?"

Then they went to a rat and said, "Be our king." The rat said, "I will be your king, but if I don't I'll give ya'll a disease."