Menu

Argument Builder or Rhetoric Alive! Bk. 1? Or Write@Home Essay 1?

My son is in 11th this year. Should I skip Argument Builder and go straight to Rhetoric Alive! Bk. 1?

I don't know what to do. I'd like to get in Bk. 2: Senior Thesis before graduation; or do the MP or Write @Home class for the same.

Or, should I set them both aside and just have him take the 8 wk courses at Write@Home for Essay 1; E 2; and College Thesis?

I don't feel confident in grading essays, even though writing comes easily to me. 

Any guidance would be appreciated. How easy is AB? What about RA!?

Thanks.

Edited by historymatters

Looking at Scholé Academy's prerequisites for Rhetoric 1, it seems you'd want to have certain skills under one's belt before attempting it. If those are in check, then go for it!

Prerequisites:

• Incoming students should have a working knowledge and familiarity with the informal fallacies (a good preparation would be Scholé Academy’s Informal Logic course or The Art of Argument text), and an ability to apply the principles of formal argument construction (along the lines of Scholé Academy’s Formal Logic course or The Discovery of Deduction text). Students who have additionally completed Scholé Academy’s Persuasive Writing course or The Argument Builder text are also well prepared to embark on this journey into Rhetoric 1.
  • Students should also be familiar with professional writing standards and adhere to MLA formatting guidelines for all written submissions in Rhetoric 1. MLA style is widely accepted for college students, and mastery of a style (like MLA) is essential for college-bound students.
  • Scholé Academy administers placement assessments in order to get to know each student and find the best learning environment for him or her, as we seek to educate our students well and wisely. After registration, a placement assessment may be provided for this course. Registration is finalized when the student’s placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.

If not, then perhaps—since CAP recommends that The Argument Builder could be done in a trimester, one-semester—he could start 11th with The Argument Builder, and finish it with Rhetoric 1—since it also could be done in a one-semester course. That leaves plenty of time in 12th to finish Rhetoric 1 (if needed) as well as do Rhetoric 2.

As for an alternative option to you grading his essays... I recently discovered that in lieu of a traditional online class, Scholé Academy offers weekly and supplemental tutoring: https://www.scholeacademy.com/tutoring-center/

Supplemental Tutoring

Supplemental Coaching to Support Student Coursework

• Tutor works alongside existing course instruction to provide supplemental coaching and assistance
  • Tutor can provide assistance in areas of difficulty or work with gifted students to accelerate in a particular discipline
  • Instruction, feedback, and assessment is provided in live, video-conference sessions (minimal out-of-session evaluation and assessment)
  • Frequency of tutoring is flexible
  • Sessions may be scheduled in 30- or 60-minute increments
  • Sessions scheduled quarterly by tutor and parent (following the Scholé Academy Academic Calendar)
  • Available for 1–3 students; prices vary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCAmusings said:

Looking at Scholé Academy's prerequisites for Rhetoric 1, it seems you'd want to have certain skills under one's belt before attempting it. If those are in check, then go for it!

If not, then perhaps—since CAP recommends that The Argument Builder could be done in a trimester, one-semester—he could start 11th with The Argument Builder, and finish it with Rhetoric 1—since it also could be done in a one-semester course. That leaves plenty of time in 12th to finish Rhetoric 1 (if needed) as well as do Rhetoric 2.

As for an alternative option to you grading his essays... I recently discovered that in lieu of a traditional online class, Scholé Academy offers weekly and supplemental tutoring: https://www.scholeacademy.com/tutoring-center/

Thanks so much. I can't believe I didn't think about looking there. 

The tutoring sounds good. I will look into it.