Menu

Ah, property management companies...

G5052

In January, DS went off for training in the military, and DD and I moved to a rental in March so that we could beat the summer rush on rentals and get the house ready to go on the market in April. The house was cleaned out when it went on the market, and we put everything belonging to DS into a bedroom in the rental house.

DS returned in June and settled into the rental with us, and the previous house settled shortly after that.

This month I was filing some paperwork and remembered that they said that he had to come by the property management office and fill out a form for the rental because he's over 18. So off we went to do another errand and get the form filled out.

Except they said that they have to "approve" him living here. They have to do a criminal background and credit check, and go over everything Monday morning in the staff meeting to decide if he can live here. The lady was emphatic that he cannot live here until he is approved. He looked at me, and I said, "OK." When we got to the car, I teased him about sleeping in his car for a few days. 

Thankfully he hadn't changed his driver's license yet because they wanted his license to match his "current" residence, which was the old house. We asked about using his military address, but he didn't change his license. It couldn't be our rental. It had to be the residence on his license . The lady was very emphatic. So we put in the application as if he was still living in the family house that now belongs to someone else.

I guess there are probably some very interesting stories behind this; Monday I'll find out if my son can live with us. Except he is living with us. LOL.

• Confused 1