Menu

Canadians: Spelling program?

C_l_e_0..Q_c

I'm thinking of starting my not quite bilingual 8yo DD onto a spelling program. Then it dawned on me! Most spelling programs I know are American! That's a no go!

I do own Spelling Power, but I don't see it being a good match for her. Well, it might be, but I'd love something less mom intensive.

What else is out there? Preferably a workbook with lots of cute drawings, and colouring to be done. It does not have to follow the WTM recommedations, because it would be ESL work for us. Different goals.

I'm not really sure what's out there as far as spelling workbooks. I would look at amazon.ca or chapters online and see what they have.Spelling Wisdom is a CM type program with copywork and copying one sentence a week. They have an option of purchasing a Canadian spelling version (if I remember correctly it's an e-book).

I've been using SWO but I'm thinking of changing next year. I like the workbook approach as it's easy on me and dd#1 seems to get it. I would like the default spelling to be Canadian though. That's one tiny reason why I like Singapore math, they use British spelling for words like colour.:D

I'll be checking back to see if anyone has a great find.:bigear:

Maybe check out and see if there are any Galore pk. spelling programs. The British would have the same spelling for a lot of things. Although I can think that some words, like tyre would be different.

Edited by Strawberry Queen
another thought

Spell to Write and Read uses the phonograms to make Canadian spelling understandable and acceptable.

SWR sometimes has the British spelling of certain words listed in the guide. For the words not listed, they seem to have the British spelling in the Alpha List, but you'd need to know that there were two ways to spell the word in order to bother to look it up.

That said, it's not a workbook, and it's a lot of work to learn (although the learning curve has been well worth it for me).

Lori

Well, I was almost ready to buy Scholastic's Spelling

http://scholastic.ca/education/spelling/index.html

(please note the spelling mistake in the company name ! :lol: )

when someone reminded me of "English Smart", available for much less at Chapters.

Now I don't know how I could have forgotten that series, because it's what we've been using for the last 3 or 4 years! But I did forget about it.

Anyway, DD now has The Complete English Smart - grade 3 for this year.