Menu

Winston Grammar?

Anyone using Winston Grammar with their dyslexic child? My 9 yo also has issues with recall and the psychologist who did his testing recommended more hands on type programs. He is in 3rd so it's a bit too old for him, but I am thinking it might be a great fit for him down the road, once he is reading a bit better.

I'd love to hear from others who actually used it though. I wish the web site had samples so I could see how it looks and actually works.

I used Winston Grammar with my dyslexic son when he was in 4th grade, which is when my son started to read at grade level. The program worked well for him as an introduction to the parts of speech.

From what I remember, it comes with some color coded cards and a workbook of sentences. There is also some instruction in there somewhere. Each color of card stands for a particular part of speech. The name of the part of speech is printed on one side of the card and facts about it are printed on the other (so if he forgets he can just look on the back). You take a sentence from the workbook and one by one he identifies the parts of speech using the cards. So, for example, if you had the sentence, "The purple dog chewed on a bone," he would lay out the following cards:

Article-adjective-noun-verb-preposition-article-noun

I should tell you that while my son did well with the program while he was doing it, he remembered *nothing* from it the next year (at that time, this was not an uncommon occurence). That next year (5th grade) we switched to Hake Grammar, because I wanted something that covered more aspects of language arts. It was great because of the Saxon style review. I know a few others here have had success with Hake with their older children with dyslexia.

So yes, Winston is a good first encounter with the parts of speech. It's gentle and hands on which is helpful for a dyslexic child.