Menu

Social accounts attacked - tired of technology in hands of people with motives...

sheryl

I don't know how to succinctly word the title.

WTH!!

I have a Skype acct. that I really don't use anymore. Just minutes ago I was referencing my mobile phone calendar app and in comes a  Skype call (incoming to me). 

There is no name on the call b/c it's not in my contact list. It turned out to be a long strong of letters/numbers associated with a man. I saw his face but kept camera off my face. I verbally told him I don't know him and texted the same. He asked if I'm married, etc.

I blocked him. BUT, I noticed after that scenario that someone else sent me a Skype text on Monday or so. I have the app that is for family use b/t dd and I. 

I blocked the one from Monday too!

What's going on and how can I stop this?

Thanks!

There's a setting that will make it so only people you select can contact you.  This might not be a hacking, because something on your account may be open; it's more fishing.

Let me look at mine and see if I can find the right menu.  

• Like 1

Interesting.  I just adjusted mine - thank you for the heads up!  

Under settings, scroll down.  There's a toggle that says "Instant messages from" and allows you to choose "contacts only."

Further down, it offers to "allow calls from anyone" - turn that off.

DH (aka, the in-house tech support guy) suggests that folks may look you up using your email account, especially if it is firstname.lastname or something easy like that.  It is also possible/likely that one of your friends' email accounts got hacked and they are rolling through the address book trying to hook someone.  

I hope that helps!  Computer creepers suck.

• Like 1

That could be.  It's probably a good idea anyway!

I found one more option in the same settings menu that might tighten things up - 3/4 of the way down the settings list there is a section entitled "contacts".  You can let skype automatically add your contacts from your address book ("use my address book", or you can manually find them "Don't use my address book" (I do that one).  That way, if your email DID get hacked, your skype account wouldn't then be as accessible.  

So, when I wanted to skype with my sister, I had to ask for her skype handle/email address and search for her.

• Like 1