Menu

CPO Life Science for 11-year-old

MomOfFour

Hello all!  My 11-year-old will be studying biology next year, after which we won't have time for a focused study of biology again until AP biology in high school.  She is a motivated student who likes science, reads popular books about medicine for pleasure, and wants to become a pediatric oncologist.  Does anyone have experience with CPO Focus on Life Science?  She wants me to buy this curriculum based on a sample chapter that we found on the internet, and since it's only 436 pages, I hope that we would still have time to study the human body.  However, I wonder if I should find a textbook that was published more recently than 2007.  I also want to make sure that it will be rigorous enough to prepare for AP biology.  Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!  

I use the CPO Life Science for my Life Science class for middle school students at the hybrid where I work. It is solid program. Most of my students take regular biology before taking AP. I pair it with products from Teachers Pay Teachers - Getting Nerdy with Mel and Gerdy. I LOVE their interactive notebook pages and some of their labs are so great. 

Thank you, Imrich, for that information!  I hadn't realized that students commonly take an entire year of high school biology prior to AP biology.  I decided to follow suit and order the high school text by Miller & Levine instead of CPO Life Science.