Menu

Guidance re: math & science

My DD will be starting 9th grade next year.

This year we did Lial's Introductory Algebra.  Overall, she picked things up very quickly and her computation abilities soared this past year.  However, she still struggles conceptually and word problems have been her nemesis for many years now.  Given her score at the end of the year (an 81%) and the results from her IOWA tests (below average in math but way above in computation), I'm thinking that doing another year of Algebra for 9th grade would be in her best interests.  Is that the general consensus?  Is there an appropriate Algebra course that will help solidify both algebra as well as general math concept skills?  I've been looking at Jacob's, Foerster, and BJU.  I'd even be willing to entertain Saxon with some trepidation.

As far as science, we were originally planning on starting Apologia Biology next year, but her test scores show that she is very behind in Physical science concepts (which is funny since we did Apologia Physical this year).  Overall she seems to like Apologia, but I haven't seen a ton of retention with the material.  Now I'm wondering if I should look at doing something physics-first based like Hewitt or BJU/ABeka Physical.  Any thoughts? She is a girl that loves stories, pictures, and light-heartedness - and doesn't mind repetition.

If she is still working on math proficiency, doing Biology would give her time with a science that is less math intensive.  This is one reason for the Biology-Chemistry-Physics sequence that is common in US high schools.  

If Apologia hasn't been a great fit, you might look at another biology program.  We enjoyed the Miller Levine Biology book with the Kolbe Academy course plan (I substituted the printed workbook for the end of chapter questions, and had my son work through the workbook as he read each section.  It ended up be a bit like guided note taking.)

• Like 1