Menu

Apologia Zoology- ALL 3? (X-Posted)

wehave8

I read somewhere on Apologia's site that 2 can be done in one year if science is done daily. I'd imagine that it would be do-able with a science-y kid at an accelerated pace. 

We own all but 2 of the k-6 books, but we've never actually completed one. We're on track to complete Zoo 1 w/ my first grader before summer starts, and we didn't start until the 4th 9 weeks.  He's also a sponge when it comes to science and tends to be able to answer questions from my 5th grader's work.  The only issue is that we can't get as in-depth as I want, but we're able to go at the accelerated, hit-the-book-high-points that he's wanting. 

• Like 1

You probably could do it. It's the least favorite in our house for Apologia elementary. I'm sucking it up and trudging through Zoology 3 right now.

I think you asked about science courses in another post, right? I would totally rather do the anatomy & physiology one with an 11-12 year old or the chem & physics one. 

49 minutes ago, calbear said:

You probably could do it. It's the least favorite in our house for Apologia elementary. I'm sucking it up and trudging through Zoology 3 right now.

I think you asked about science courses in another post, right? I would totally rather do the anatomy & physiology one with an 11-12 year old or the chem & physics one. 

Well, I'm going to go for it...

3 Zoology for 6th (IF I put him in 6th next year.  He was 4th this year), Anatomy & Physiology for 7th, and then Chemistry & Physics (OR Rainbow) for 8th.

Just a plan.  I'll decide for sure after the CHAP Convention, and I look at things and talk to people.

Pam

The Anatomy and Chem/Physics is a bit light for middle school IMO. As both were written for up to 6th. I would be looking for a stronger program with more structured labs if you have STEM oriented kid or headed on a more college prep path. 

• Thanks 1

I have not done them all in one year and it's been a long time since I've looked at any of them, but I don't see why a savvy 11-12yo could not. It seems reasonable to me. That's mostly reading and a handful of projects that age could do themselves.

• Like 1

Yes, I think this is doable. That should work out to about a chapter per week which is a good pace for an 11/12 yo. I'm not the biggest fan, but my ds adored these books. Tackling all 3 will be fun for a kid who is interested in the topic.

13 minutes ago, TracyP said:

Yes, I think this is doable. That should work out to about a chapter per week which is a good pace for an 11/12 yo. I'm not the biggest fan, but my ds adored these books. Tackling all 3 will be fun for a kid who is interested in the topic.

Truthfully, I'm not a big fan either, but I know of the one we did with 2 older dc, it was a huge hit, so I'll grin and bear it.  :)

Pam

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, calbear said:

The Anatomy and Chem/Physics is a bit light for middle school IMO. As both were written for up to 6th. I would be looking for a stronger program with more structured labs if you have STEM oriented kid or headed on a more college prep path. 

I've read mixed views on this.  Some say there is no problem going into high school science with just the Anatomy and Chem/Physics books.  I appreciate your input, though!  It makes me dig deeper.

I keep changing my mind.  (as usual  :(   )  I am keeping Rainbow until I decide on 8th.

Pam

We did Zoology 1-3 in one year. We are actually half way through Zoology 3 right now and I think we will be able to finish it by first of June. 

We do science 3 times per week for 40 minutes each. It is all discussion based and youtube videos. We did the crossword puzzles and chapter reviews orally. We did a few of the experiments but not all of them. We watched youtube videos on almost every topic. I read the book aloud but skipped over the really wordy parts; especially if the youtube video would cover the same content. We watched several animal documentaries - these were a hit.

This worked because my goal wasn't that they understood every detail about every animal, but that they have a big picture understanding of animals in general. How animals are classified, related, similarities, differences, what makes a fish a fish- a mammal a mammal - a rodent a rodent - etc... Understanding how animals form groups and socialize.

If your goals are similar, then it can be done. If you want them to produce more (written) output or complete more of the experiments, then you may have to do it 5 days per week.

• Thanks 1