Menu

What are you using for your 6th grader

Scarlett

I have a NT although slightly reluctant 6th grade boy.

We are using History Odyssey level 2 for history, geography, literature. It has timelines, map work, literature and written outlines and written summaries. I find it a bit dry but my kids both seem to like it ok. No grumbling or anything and it covers a lot of subjects.

I add in other language arts (Sequential Spelling and Easy Grammar and various vocabulary supplements). I haven't added a writing program because he is writing quite a few outlines and summaries for history and he is a reluctant writer. These programs are working well.

For math I have used Math Mammoth but just recently switched to Lials Basic College Math textbook. It is a review of all basic grade school math. I like Math Mammoth but sometimes it can be overwhelming. It covers so much and comes at things so many different ways. Lial's is more straight forward- do the algorithm,old school kind of textbook math. Honestly after years of conceptual mastery math it is kind of a breath of fresh air and a solid review.

For science we do interest led with books and documentaries and the occasional project if my kid wants to do the work. Science is my most relaxed subject.

No foreign language for us yet. Lots of extracurriculars and supplements but those are his basics.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

I have a NT although slightly reluctant 6th grade boy.

We are using History Odyssey level 2 for history, geography, literature. It has timelines, map work, literature and written outlines and written summaries. I find it a bit dry but my kids both seem to like it ok. No grumbling or anything and it covers a lot of subjects.

I add in other language arts (Sequential Spelling and Easy Grammar and various vocabulary supplements). I haven't added a writing program because he is writing quite a few outlines and summaries for history and he is a reluctant writer. These programs are working well.

For math I have used Math Mammoth but just recently switched to Lials Basic College Math textbook. It is a review of all basic grade school math. I like Math Mammoth but sometimes it can be overwhelming. It covers so much and comes at things so many different ways. Lial's is more straight forward- do the algorithm,old school kind of textbook math. Honestly after years of conceptual mastery math it is kind of a breath of fresh air and a solid review.

For science we do interest led with books and documentaries and the occasional project if my kid wants to do the work. Science is my most relaxed subject.

No foreign language for us yet. Lots of extracurriculars and supplements but those are his basics.

Very helpful. Thank you.