Menu

Can BJU distance writing/grammar/lit be modified for a student?

Not that BJU will modify it for the student, I know that, but can we modify it at home by not doing the writing assignments?  I'm interested in this child taking an online writing class with grading and teaching and feedback from a live teacher.  I don't want to tie her up with many scheduled online classes like that, so I'd like to just do the grammar/lit part with BJU distance.  I know the teacher on the video will likely teach and discuss writing topics and details and that's great, but I just don't want her to do the writing assignments.  Thanks for any advice.

Yes, absolutely.  Just skip the writing assignments and the videos that are teaching writing.  It's relatively easy to figure out what to skip.    I have Grade 9 this year, and we have done that also since dd is in a live online writing class.  Its only a semester of grammar and writing (the other semester is Lit which you probably already know), so if you want to spread the grammar out over the year it should work fine.  If you also plan to do the semester of lit, there are also writing assignments.  its a little harder to not watch the videos that address those, however, because of the way the videos are done.  However, you can just have her skip the writing assignments.

I will say, however, that my daughter had alot of English to try to fit in because she is in a monthly Center for Lit class (poetry) in addition to the weekly live writing class (CiRCE LTW).  Adding the BJU on top of that has been a little tricky to fit it all in without spending too much of her day on English.  She's only done some of the grammar, and a lot more of the lit.  The BJU course has a fair amount of work (and the videos are about 30 minutes/day), so consider that when you're adding in a live writing class.  You may have to scale back the expectations for the BJU assignments if the live class workload ramps up (which is what we've done).

Edited by monalisa

Yes, absolutely.  Just skip the writing assignments and the videos that are teaching writing.  It's relatively easy to figure out what to skip.    I have Grade 9 this year, and we have done that also since dd is in a live online writing class.  Its only a semester of grammar and writing (the other semester is Lit which you probably already know), so if you want to spread the grammar out over the year it should work fine.  If you also plan to do the semester of lit, there are also writing assignments.  its a little harder to not watch the videos that address those, however, because of the way the videos are done.  However, you can just have her skip the writing assignments.

I will say, however, that my daughter had alot of English to try to fit in because she is in a monthly Center for Lit class (poetry) in addition to the weekly live writing class (CiRCE LTW).  Adding the BJU on top of that has been a little tricky to fit it all in without spending too much of her day on English.  She's only done some of the grammar, and a lot more of the lit.  The BJU course has a fair amount of work (and the videos are about 30 minutes/day), so consider that when you're adding in a live writing class.  You may have to scale back the expectations for the BJU assignments if the live class workload ramps up (which is what we've done).

Thank you for your response.  It was very helpful and exactly what I needed to know.

You're welcome!  I also just remembered that the BJU Grammar & Writing Teacher's Edition CD (that comes in the hardcover TE) has pre-tests, so if you wanted to use those to figure out which grammar chapters to skip or skim and which ones to spend more time on, that's also an option  You get a big discount on the TE's (50% off I think) if you order them with or after ordering the DLO classes.