Menu

Looking for books on African history year 1000-1500

Nadia,

My bulging bookshelves don't seem to have much for this era, but I did find two. I have not read these, but they look interesting.

The Royal Kingdoms of Ghana, Mali and Songhay, Life in Medieval Aftrica, by Patricia and Fredrick McKissack.

A Glorious Age in Africa, by Daniel Chu and Elliott Skinner

They both look to be Jr. High reading level.

HTH

Nadia,

Here are a couple of possibilities:

for your younger crowd:

Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta, 1325-1354 by James Rumford

and for your older children,

Ibn Battuta In Black Africa by Ibn Battuta, Noel King, and Said Hamdun.

We enjoyed the first book. I can't speak to the second but it appears to have some good reviews.

And, as an aside, how is your daughter's first year of college progressing?

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dd seems to have adjusted even better to her workload now. She doesn't sound stressed anymore, but is starting to get -or feel- more in control of her load and classes. She is dealing with midterms right now. As social as she is then I think she is still getting used to how to deal with teachers you don't really like and likewise with peers who turn out to be less than trustworthy and nice. But she is learning fast!! She did end up changing rooms with her cranky/nasty roomie and instead got a OCD roomie (seriously, she had her stuff on her desk symmetrical and weighs herself constantly....) who spent last week celebrating the legalization of marijuana....(during school-week). This would be in addition to all the medication she takes for stress.

I officially concluded that a LOT of the kids that end up at selective colleges are half-crazy (or got so in the process of getting there) and don't really care to be there.... Slightly disappointing, but whatever. Dd hangs out with some fun-locing, yet focused girls so I am fine.