Menu

If you used McRuffy phonics....

Rainbows

did you use their handwriting books too or did you buy something else (like Handwriting Without Tears)?

Im ordering the kindergarten phonics kit and they have a "traditional" handwriting book but they describe it as ball and stick (and our school district uses HWT)

Just wondering if I could use the HWT with the phonics lessons.

thanks

oh ok....when I asked the other day, someone said that the ball and stick (traditional) was not like HWT b/c in HWT you dont pick the pencil up when making certain letters, and in ball and stick you pick the pencil up. I can't tell from the McRuffy online samples whether they have you do the letter in one stroke or pick up the pencil

The modern is similar /same as D'Nealian, right?

I think it would be nice to have the handwriting book since it ties in with the McRuffy phonics, but maybe I'd be better off with HWT since that's what our school district teaches

oh ok....when I asked the other day, someone said that the ball and stick (traditional) was not like HWT b/c in HWT you dont pick the pencil up when making certain letters, and in ball and stick you pick the pencil up. I can't tell from the McRuffy online samples whether they have you do the letter in one stroke or pick up the pencil

The modern is similar /same as D'Nealian, right? YES

I think it would be nice to have the handwriting book since it ties in with the McRuffy phonics, but maybe I'd be better off with HWT since that's what our school district teaches

I am the one who gave you the info above. Right now, I'm looking at the samples for the the traditional and modern samples of McRuffy K. The traditional sample's arrows are not showing traditional "ball and stick" instructions. If you look at arrows of the sample letter b, it shows to draw a line down then draw a circle clock wise. It does not say if you are to pick up your pencil in order to draw the circle. I guess you can choose. If you do not pick up your pencil you are forming the b the same way you would in HWT's. In traditional ball and stick you would draw a counter clock wise circle (ball) then pick up your pencil and draw a line straight down to the left of the circle (stick). To make a d you would start with a counter clock wise circle, pick up you pencil and draw a stick from top to bottom on the right.

As long as you followed the arrows and did not pick up you pencil while forming letters, traditional would be in the style of HWT's.

Another example of HWT's vs. "traditional" ball and stick is the letter m. HWT would have you draw a line down, follow the same line up, hump over and down, follow the down line up, hump over and down again. You would never lift your pencil. In traditional ball and stick you would; draw a line down, lift your pencil go to the top of the line and hump over and down, pick up you pencil go the the top of the hump and hump over again and down. This causes you to lift your pencil 2x's to form the letter. KWIM?

You could teach your child to never lift their pencil and be ok.

I am the one who gave you the info above. Right now, I'm looking at the samples for the the traditional and modern samples of McRuffy K. The traditional sample's arrows are not showing traditional "ball and stick" instructions. If you look at arrows of the sample letter b, it shows to draw a line down then draw a circle clock wise. It does not say if you are to pick up your pencil in order to draw the circle. I guess you can choose. If you do not pick up your pencil you are forming the b the same way you would in HWT's. In traditional ball and stick you would draw a counter clock wise circle (ball) then pick up your pencil and draw a line straight down to the left of the circle (stick). To make a d you would start with a counter clock wise circle, pick up you pencil and draw a stick from top to bottom on the right.

As long as you followed the arrows and did not pick up you pencil while forming letters, traditional would be in the style of HWT's.

Another example of HWT's vs. "traditional" ball and stick is the letter m. HWT would have you draw a line down, follow the same line up, hump over and down, follow the down line up, hump over and down again. You would never lift your pencil. In traditional ball and stick you would; draw a line down, lift your pencil go to the top of the line and hump over and down, pick up you pencil go the the top of the hump and hump over again and down. This causes you to lift your pencil 2x's to form the letter. KWIM?

You could teach your child to never lift their pencil and be ok.

excellent explanation...thanks for clearing it up :)