Menu

Presents for pre-schooler and toddler

kewb

I used to be so awesome at picking out gifts.  And now that I have been out of the game I am stumped for ideas that are not some piece of inexpensive plastic ( I have nothing against inexpensive plastic toys I just know they will be getting a lot of that). I have come to the hive for some ideas.

The toddler girl likes:

Doc McStuffins (so out of touch, no idea who this is).

Glitzy things

Pre-schooler likes:
Girly superheroes

Reading, Writing, and Drawing.

My budget is max $25 per gift.

I've never been awesome at picking out gifts, but I have a million nieces and nephews and get similar lists from them. My go-to at that age is usually not exciting because I know they'll get a million exciting things by people who are more in touch with what's current and who buy more exciting toys. 

I'd look for a Doc McStuffins themed "thing" - tee-shirt, sleeping bag, water bottle, blanket, socks, etc. Anything a young kid likes is going to be easy to find at Kohls, Target, Walmart, etc. so that's good. But a kid who has a fascination with a brand name doll/show is going to already own a lot of the toys and branded crap. The one area that's usually not a big issue (for the kid OR the parent) is something wearable-ish or something designed to be a multiple (e.g., water bottle). It's not like buying a kid their 2nd or 4th McStuffins doll IYKWIM. If I had cash to spare, I'd find a glitzy accessory from the big people's side of the store: hairbands, scarf, little purse (or shoes from the kids' section.) And I always include gift receipts LOL.

For the preschooler I'd get a spiral journal of some kind - nothing too expensive or fancy, but not your mom's steno pad. Something for $5-ish with a horse or Wonder Woman or something on the front. And I'd add a collection of sparkly gel pens OR a set of Crayola pencils (and sharpener). I'd include a little pencil carrying kit (love this style pencil roll).

OR I'd nix the journal and buy a few different sized or types of drawing paper/pads. Also the aforementioned pens or pencils. Then I'd buy a plastic clipboard thing for her to keep them all together. Perfect for around the house or on the go. I'd probably decorate it with a superwoman image or personalize it with her name. If I had cash to spare, I'd add a short/small book probably related to a superhero girl or the holiday.

OR I'd spend the whole $25 on etsy and buy her a supergirl cape. That's a fun age for those things. :)

• Like 2