Menu

New at this-

Guest leolani80

Guest leolani80

I wanted to see what recommendations you would have for a 5-year old boy who is reading and attending Kindergarten. I also have a 3-year old at home. I'm trying to supplement with history and keep up his reading so he doesn't plateau while the rest of the class catches up.

I would just keep reading with him and giving him more difficult material on his level to do at home. If he is reading well, then have him read books from the children's section at the library..or if he is on a 4th grade level or so, then challenge him with chapter books. There is little you can do about how bored he is going to be in Kindergarten where they are teaching letter sounds and the alphabet....other than homeschool him. ;)

Guest leolani80

They do recognize where he is- giving him reading at his level and also more phonics, so I'm glad they're working with us on that. I feel like certain subjects are stressed over others, so I want to make sure there are no gaps.

I use sonlight readers with my 5 yo. She also reads tons of library books. The entire class is way behind her...but her teacher gives her first grade reading books instead of K.

I also have her doing SL LA and Abeka Math 1. She loves them. She thinks they are fun right now. Her K homework is a joke and takes 5 minutes on monday to do the entire weeks work.