Menu

I just signed my children up for a Kid's Marathon

I thought I would mention it because I had never heard of a Kid's Marathon before this week and I think it is a great idea.

Somehow I received information on one in St. Louis - maybe through a homeschool loop?? It sounded great, so I checked locally and sure enough Gainesville is having a Kid's Marathon in February!

You register your child(ren) online (or send in a form) and print out a log sheet. The child runs 25 miles at home (usually in 1 mile runs - but whatever works for the child) and then comes to the race to do the final 1.2 miles. It is like a fun run with t-shirts and medals for all of the finishers. This seems so much better than the standard fun run because it requires consistent running from the child over a period of time.

The St. Louis run has an UltraMarathon for 6th grade and up that requires the child to run 50 miles at home and a 5K on race day. I am going to lobby for adding the UltraMarathon in Gainesville next year. :D

In case anyone is in the Gainesville, FL area - registration is free until November 15th and then $5.00 per child.

(I think the one in St. Louis is free as well.)

For kids and Mom who have no history in running, what would you recommend as a weekly running schedule? Should they run everyday or every other day? We have a college track nearby, but this could become boring... I have safety concerns about road-running. How do you other moms help your kids run for exercise and keep safe? Our road is busy with no shoulder...