Menu

K12 math curriculum

Mandarinmom

I have heard some thoughts that K12 math is very light and not great. We are two months into Math Grade 1, and I don't see if it is enough compare to other Math progrms, hard to say yet. I do have both textbooks and workbooks for Singapore 1, and it doesn't look that it goes further 1st grade of Math K12. I don't see any difference at all between Singapore 1 and K12 Math1. However when I compare both with Horizons K, not even 1st grade, looks like Horizons Math gives in K what the two other courses give in 1st. I was going to supplement K12 with Singapore 1, but there is nothing more in it.

Can somebody tell me how they do Math 1 and Math 2 with K12. In less than 2 months we are in the middle of Math1, and looks like will be going to Math2 sometimes in January or February. I was going to change the course sometimes in the end of March before 31st deadline for next course, but I don't see much left to do. I don't want her to do more busy work with additional practice, because she doesn't make mistakes practically, even though we do all the worksheets and all extra problems. I want to move forward to multiplication, division, etc. Am I thinking wrong?

I just wanted to add to my message that we are not gifted, not in Math at least, and not looking into anything extravagant. Just looks like the course is not complicated, and progresses very fast and easy. Do you recommend to do more and more practice before moving forward to next grade? I can not see how much more practice to do if it is mastered 10%. The same is the Singapore, doesn' add anything to K12, I just checked the books again, nothing extra there.

I've converted two children to K12 math, one from Singapore and one from Abeka.

The K12 (Sadlier-Oxford) has been easier for both of my children -- easier to accelerate and easier to add review when necessary.

I switched my 6yo daughter from mid-Abeka grade 2 to K12 grade 3. It's not that I would say K12 is easier, it's a completely different approach. With Abeka, they teach a new concept in about 3 problems and then spend the rest of the page reviewing. It was the constant review that was driving my daughter absolutely nutzoid.

My son's math scores (in concepts) went up dramatically in the past year. He's above average for computation, and we've added in the Singapore Word Problems to beef that section up (one area of testing that remained flat from last year to this year).

Overall, I'm very happy with what we're doing with the K12 math program, and have no desire to switch (yet).

I wouldn't worry about doing every problem, or every review problem either -- do enough together to make sure she "gets" the concept, and then give her enough variety in the practice to show she knows it. In some cases, we just give my daughter the assessment (but, she really, really "gets" math... and will be switching to the 4th grade level book in February). I suppose, that's what I love best about the Sadlier-Oxford approach and how it works for my kids -- when they reach a difficulty, I have all of the extra problems... and when they get it, it's not a constant droning on as in Abeka.

Sorry for rattling on... the only "weak area" I would say the Sadlier-Oxford series has is word problems. If you get the SM word problems (my son is doing 5th math and 5th SM word problems), and do daily facts practice, you should be just fine for your daughter to move on, and should overcome any "weaknesses" in the math program :D

The 4th grade K12 is not weak in word problems imo. What I dislike is that there are whole section of just word problems. I wish they were interspersed a bit more. J really gets bogged down on those sections and it is discouraging for him.

The entire sections of word problems are very tiring... perhaps "weak" was a poor expression here. With ds test scores, his weakest area, and area with really no growth comparitavely (although, still above average) was multi-step word problems, something I know SM does very well. So this was more to work on my son's weak areas. So, I guess, imho, the way in which Sadlier-Oxford presents it's word problems is not enough for my son to really improve in that area.

Comparatively, in the concepts area, my son's ITBS score went up over 30 points in the past year -- so the manner in which Sadlier-Oxford and K12 present and review those concepts is nothing I can complain about (that, and, my son doesn't cry at math time as he did with Saxon in K).

Sorry.