Menu

social media and networking

bettyandbob

I'm trying to get better at networking. I've noticed a lot of people in my field are on fb. Of those that have more public profiles, they are friends with many other in the field on fb. I know enough of these people IRL to know that these people aren't actually friends.

I've worked on my LinkedIn profile and started adding contacts. Less people in the field are on LinkedIn and those that are are also on fb.

I've only used fb for a small number of friends and family. I'm pretty careful about what I post and view it more as a way to keep up with people who live far away. I've never friended work supervisors and have only a couple people who are friends through work as fb friends. My boss is a heavy fb user. He says he doesn't use it for professional networking --he says he keeps all that in his head, but admits he should probably do some social media for that.

Does anyone use fb to help manage their professional contacts as it appears some in my field do.

Edited by Diana P.