Menu

Logic, Debate, Argument Resources

Earthmerlin

I'd like some resource ideas for studying logic, debate & argument with an 8 year old. Although slightly different but well-received is our copy of 'Philosophy for Children'. With it, we've hit a sweet spot in discussions over meals. I also have 'An Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments' but upon closer inspection I believe it'll still be out of reach for my 8 year old. Can you recommend another title or 2 that's similar in content (logic, logical fallacies, etc.) but more readable & accessible to a child this young? Many thanks.

Having my kids do speech and debate was one of the best things we did in our homeschool. I know I'm basing this post on what our S & D club did, but I think 8 is young for debate. Then again, I don't know your child!

I would keep up the discussions and incorporate logic activites (Critical Thinking, for ex. and maybe philosophy materials from Prufrock Press?) Play strategy games. Also, logic puzzles. Logic is a big part of the novice debaters' homework in our club. The only activity for an 8 yo at our club is speech. Gaining confidence and honing elocution skills make that part of actually doing debate easier. IIRC our club offers a form of junior debate (not what it's called, but you get the idea) to 12 yos and then team policy to high schoolers. 

First Born jumped into speech and TP in 10th grade. Second Born went through the ranks: speech, "Jr debate" and then TP. Both did well and gained skills that help them immensely out in the world. (Job interviews, public speaking, performing on stage, etc.)

So, I'd keep up logic games and the great conversations and see if this child can join a speech club. It's different than reciting a poem or a speech for parents or grandparents. It just is. I loved it when community judges told one of mine to slow down and speak up. They were listened to. My saying the same thing? Not so much. 

Lastly, this is just my personal opinion, but when you get to geometry, do proofs! I believe it helped my children's writing , argumentation, and helped them in logic. 

I know you'll get more (and better) ideas from the hive, but I wanted to chime in. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1