Menu

Singapore Math- U.S. vs. Standards Edition

christinemadeline

There is an old post on this topic but the question I have is not included there so here's a new thread!

We just switched over from Singapore Math U.S. edition to the Standards Edition. After completing U.S. 3b we now have the 4a Standards Edition.  My daughter is in 4th grade. 

It seems so much harder for my daughter.   For example the US edition had her rounding up a little bit, while in the first few pages of the Standards Edition, she is asked to round up to the nearest ten thousands place. A bit more complex.  We made it through though :) 

Just wondering if I should give it some more time and let the new concepts sink in, or should I go back to the US edition. 

Anyone go through something similar? Maybe I switched books too late in the game?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Christine

This is the scope and sequence comparison. It will give you some idea of the differences and where you might need to spend a little extra time on prep. They are very similar through grade 3 but standards introduces some things earlier. The rounding, for example, in 4A standards is a build up from the previous year.

https://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSUSandSTD2009.pdf

• Like 1