Menu

Hake Grammar without the writing? Compare to Rod and staff?

pocjets

We used 5th, 7th and 8th without the writing.  There were about 110 lessons (depends on grade, check table of contents on CBD.com) plus 20 or so tests, if you choose to do them.  My dd did it usually 4 times a week, sometimes 3, and completed within the school year.  Took her only about 20 minutes per day, and she did independently.  In 8th grade I let her do the checking.  We did not do the dictation part.   I let her write directly in the student text and do diagramming in a separate spiral notebook.  We love Saxon Hake Grammar and wish they had high school review books!  Never used R&S so can't help there.  

• Like 1

We use Hake without the writing component, just my older two right now. They usually do it 4-5 days a week, and write directly in the student book. I like it, they don't complain about it, and it gets done. That's more than I can say for the other programs we tried! (FLL, GWG, Easy Grammar) No experience with R&S. I also wish Hake continued through the high school years.

There is no comparison to R&S. Hake is not light by any means but it isn't over the top like R&S. That said, my kids found Hake's explanations very confusing.

We much prefer BJU. You can just do the wkbk without the teacher lessons.