Menu

Music Curriculum

Whether you currently do or are interested in incorporating music in your homeschool program, what do you look for in a curriculum? Do you prefer learning materials in the form of workbook/worksheets or would you prefer something done mostly online?  Is a combination of online interactive lessons with a teacher and downloadable worksheets appealing? Ideas, thought, preferences?  If you could custom pick how your child experiences a music class while at home, what would you choose? 

For at-home lessons nothing beats a high quality recorder (about 25.00 range) and a good recorder beginners book! It's inexpensive easy and fun. Mom can have her own recorder to play along. There virtually indestructible and the kids can start learning musical notation and playing a song within the first few lessons. They really are wonderful little instruments and if you teach your child to blow gently, they actually *can* sound beautiful although of course YMMV.

• Like 1

My dd's dear friend is from Russia,a nd when she was a little girl she went for three years to a very special Musical School where the kids spent 9 hours per day there, and 5 of those was all musical learning.  They started them on the recorder before any instrument, and then continued them on the recorder even while learning advanced instruments, such as piano, classical music and many others.  I don't know the reasoning for this BUT I've heard her play the recorder and it's AMAZING.  the recorder CAN make absolutely lovely, beautiful music and should be considered a worthy instrument even on its own aside from children's lessons.

HOWEVER don't expect your child's music to be beautiful...hahahhaa

I am just saying that for 30.00 the recorder is truly an amazing little thing.

• Like 1

I can't tell if you're asking how we presently incorporate it into our school or if you want ideas that you could use to create a salable music curriculum.  I'll try to answer on both sides.

Currently: We teach each dd piano.  (Dh and I are both ex-music majors, so we can do this.)  When we notice that music is being played by ear instead of read, then we emphasize reading musical notation more.  We've worked a bit with recorder lessons and outside-taught violin as well.  I'd love to teach sight-singing, but that's a pipe-dream with both oldest dds.  

For Music Appreciation, we also teach composers/instruments through history a la WTM suggestions using Bellerophon coloring books.  We've used the Classical Kids CDs and lots of youtube examples.  The goal is recognition of a few pieces, an understanding of basic musical form, and an appreciation for musicians as living people.  We've gone on to check out other cultural styles of music/instruments, as well.

If I could have a simple "Music Curriculum" that would incorporate it all, what would it look like?  Hmmm . . .

Major composers: photos, vignettes from the life of, how their lives/styles/etc. interacted with current history/other art forms/etc.  (Possibly have various levels available for this section.)  At least one full work for listening, preferably one that is especially memorable for some reason.  

Western Instruments: videos of people playing them.  Solo recordings, possibly group recordings (All four string instruments playing together, etc.) to recognize timbre.  Work up to a video of an entire orchestra playing something attention-getting.  (Maybe "Night on Bald Mountain" or something of equal strength?)

Non-western styles: Ragas, Steel drums, Gamelan, etc.  A bit of cultural background on each and a video of a piece performed.  (Maybe get into music that accompanies culturally important theater in various countries?)

Practicum: I second the idea of recorder.  Maybe video lessons as an option for parents who can't personally read music?  Get note names and values down along with time and key signatures, some basic dynamic markings, etc.  Kodaly is another option for teaching young children to sing.

Basically, I think a computer-driven curriculum would be best because of the ability to play audio and video.  Lots of color, lots of high-quality performances - it would be awesome!

HTH!

Mama Anna

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies!! Mamma Anna, in response to your opening statement, kind of a yes to both.  I taught private piano lessons for over fifteen years in addition to a school choir class before I had my babies.  My degree is in secondary education so teaching little ones outside a private lesson setting is foreign to me.  My daughter is fast approaching grade school age and I'm prepping myself to start teaching her at home.  Since I have music background I'm being choosy about how I incorporate a music curriculum.  Right now it's just a lot of fun and play involving music but as she enters K5 I want it to be more structured.  But I realize her music education will be nothing like private piano lesson! Soooo...I'm trying to pick brains, see what works for other parents/children, and maybe put something of my own together.  I feel like I have the knowledge but not the experience needed.  Your advice is a gold mine! Thank you so much! (and how young did you begin teaching your children piano lessons?)

Thanks to those who suggested a recorder.  So much to think about!

I try to incorporate Music Mind Games during our morning time 2-3x a week. In order for dd to have some knowledge of common folk songs, I use the list in What Your X Grader Should Know series. This year, I am also trying to teach her recorder. It is trying. The idea of using her tongue to differentiate the notes will need to be worked on for a little while. I will also try a SQUILT unit on Bach, since she had a good sale on it on his birthday  a few months ago.

• Like 1

Great ideas and advice so far. 

For early years (to 7-8/Year 3ish/confidently reading and a bit less wiggly), I use Jolly Music - it uses lots of old rhymes and activities and movement, pretty scripted which is good for me when juggling too much but can be adapted on the fly to suit the child (though better with small groups, siblings love getting in on the fun too most of the time). It uses the Kodaly method and is a good introduction to the vocabulary, ideas, and enjoyment of it. I also for almost every holiday/event create a playlist, mixing traditional and modern music and connect them to what we're doing for musical appreciation and history. May Day is far more interesting with small kids singing Morris dancing songs followed by picket rhymes. 

. . . and how young did you begin teaching your children piano lessons?)

We've tried different ages.  We started our oldest at age 4.  She lost enthusiasm around age 6 or 7 and while we kept her in lessons for another 5 years or so, it's been a struggle.  We started our middle dd at about age 6 and she lost interest around the same age.  She has other challenges, though, so we adjusted how she learns (a little bit of new stuff, carefully supervised, every day instead of a lesson each week with practice on her own in between) and she's still in there working on it.  Our youngest began lessons at age 7 and still seems interested one year later.  (We'll see how that continues!)

Our experience taught us a few things:

1.  The child of a musician may or may not have a keen interest in making music, regardless of natural talent.  Pushing doesn't do any good.  (You'd think we would already have known that, right?)  Leopold Mozart was definitely the exception rather than the rule.

2.  Music lessons taught by parents are challenging because there are often more immediate things to do, which means that a child can go a couple of weeks (or more) between lessons.  Also, private lessons taught by parents have the same characteristics as classes taught by parents: the teacher/parent tension. 

3.  Starting earlier isn't necessarily better, even if they're showing interest.  It probably all depends on how you go about it, though.

YMMV!  :)  

Have fun!  (Seriously!!)

Mama Anna