Menu

Safety of enameled cookware/dinnerware?

We use glass, mostly, for dinnerware (cups, plates, bowls), but since my Littles are doing a little more cleaning of their own messes...I'm toying with the idea of something other than glass for them. (With a mostly tiled house...glass EXPLODES when it hits the floor).

I considered some of the enameled stuff that you see in sporting goods stores, for camping. And while I'm at it, I was wondering about enameled stoneware and cast iron; I prefer to use cast iron and stainless steel for cooking, but I like the appearance of some of the enameled cast iron/stoneware I've seen.

So...is there something I'm missing about enamel, lol, from a safety perspective? Just as sure as I buy some of this stuff...someone will post here, or they'll have something in a newsletter that I get, about how evil and dangerous enameled stuff is. ;-)

I've searched, and haven't come up with anything nefarious-sounding...but I know that doesn't necessarily mean that the info isn't out there, somewhere I'm not looking.

Thoughts? Info?

I love the way some of the enamelware looks, but it chips very easily. I won't buy it any more for camping or for anything other than decoration. I'm concerned about using it once it has chipped because I don't know if more will flake off in food without us noticing it. From now on I'm buying only stainless steel. The enamelware chips just from being clanked together a little, so I imagine it would chip even more being dropped on a tile floor.

I love the way some of the enamelware looks, but it chips very easily. I won't buy it any more for camping or for anything other than decoration. I'm concerned about using it once it has chipped because I don't know if more will flake off in food without us noticing it. From now on I'm buying only stainless steel. The enamelware chips just from being clanked together a little, so I imagine it would chip even more being dropped on a tile floor.

...ever come across any camping gear (dinnerware) that was stainless steel?

That's my other thought, if I decide against the enameled...but most of it is aluminum. :tongue_smilie:

You're right...if it chips that easily, it wouldn't be a good idea. I wasn't thinking of that...the stuff that my mom has lasted through years of kid use, but then again, she doesn't have tile floors, lol.