Menu

York U research identifies effects of cognitive behaviour therapy on parents of children with autism

Is the article something anyone could read/can you link?

I'd like to know more about what the study found. That video is a personal experience of one mom. I suspect outcomes will depend on therapist skill in working with autism as well as the child him/herself. I've been frustrated/felt like we've done a lot of spinning wheels. But my kiddo is hard at his current age. 

Edited by sbgrace

Sbgrace, the link to the article can be found directly above the YouTube video, in my original post. In the article they also link to the study but unfortunately it only includes the abstract. I will try to see if I can find the full study somewhere. The article does explain some of the particulars of the study though. 

I can relate to the effects on the parents as I have seen it in myself. We have not had CBT therapy from a therapist yet, but I have read and use CBT and mindfulness in the way I approach my kids. It has changed the way I approach my kids and has enabled me to work with them to help them find their own tools when and where they are needed. I am currently doing a personal study on cognitive neuroscience, among other things, so this was very timely for me. 

Edited by Guest

Sbgrace, were you looking to see the effectiveness of CBT as an autism therapy? I wasn't quite clear from your post. I did find this for you, if it helps. It lists studies and trials using CBT with children on the spectrum. I am thinking it might be more what you are looking for. If the links do not take you straight to the studies, just copy paste the study information they provide into your browser, and you should be able to find more information on them:

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Autism

http://researchautism.net/autism-interventions/our-evaluations-interventions/15/cognitive-behavioural-therapy-and-autism/Studies%20and%20Trials

I hope this helps and that you find something that works for your child and you  :grouphug: