Menu

BJU Geography - has anyone used this? Also, could it be spread out over 2 years?

We are currently using Biblioplan for History. I keep toying around with TOG, but I just don't think I have it in me. Assuming we continue with Biblioplan, we will be using year 3 next year. I was wondering about doing Biblioplan 3 days per week as scheduled and doing a Geography course two days per week and spreading it out over two years. Has anyone done this? Also, I know BJU Geography is listed for grade 9, but I would use it for grades 7 & 8. Would this be too young for this text?

As an alternative we could do Abeka Geography. My understanding is that this is only a semester course, so I would just spread it out over one whole year.

Does this concept sound workable? Which would be the better plan?

TIA!

We used BJU Geography and my son did it in 8th with no trouble at all. He did do it daily and finished well before the school year was over, so I think if you did it twice a week you'd be fine if you wanted to spread it over 2 years.

IF we don't do TOG next year, I am planning on BJU Geography for my 8th and 9th graders :D

Edited by Quiver0f10

My dd (9th) is using the BJU Geography course this year. I suppose you could stretch it out over two years and cover the chapters that would tie in with whatever you are studying in history.

We have added various books to the course as well as various magazine articles (a number of National Geographic articles -- these are recommended in the TE manual).

I have also made some of the tests open book. There are a lot of details covered and I really don't think it is necessary that she memorize all of them. I have required that mapwork and country capitols be memorized, but the rest of the material I've allowed her to use her book. When we cover North America I will probably require more.

I personally find it somewhat boring, but she hasn't complained!!

Yvonne