Menu

Researching scripted Math options for middle school. Any recommendations for me to explore?

I really like the look of the scripted lessons from BJU grade 6 math where they tell you exactly what to say to present new concepts and conduct review.

However the BJU teacher's manuals look different for grade 7 and up and I can't see the same scripted lessons as in the elementary grades.  I don't want to switch to BJU for one year and then have to switch again to something else so I'm really looking for a curriculum we can stick with until the end of middle school. 

I may consider dvd teaching options in the future but at this stage I want to teach the math and I would benefit from having the lessons scripted for me. 

Edited by morningcoffee

I used math in focus for younger grades so I can't speak to middle school, but I found the TM pretty cumbersome and designed for a classroom. It was hard to use with all the extra stuff in there I didn't need. I'm using Saxon for my 6th grader, with the Dive DVD The teacher on the dvd teaches the lesson instead of me!

• Like 1

I used math in focus for younger grades so I can't speak to middle school, but I found the TM pretty cumbersome and designed for a classroom. It was hard to use with all the extra stuff in there I didn't need. I'm using Saxon for my 6th grader, with the Dive DVD The teacher on the dvd teaches the lesson instead of me!

I think this is one of those times where YMMV. I found the TE very beneficial when addressing topics that I needed help teaching. It is written to a classroom setting, but I found it easy to omit what wasn't relative. Again, YMMV. It was great for us, but I can understand that it wouldn't be right for everyone.

ETA: I will say that my experience is only from 1A/1B-5A/5B, but the samples for the middle school program look quite similar.

Edited by YodaGirl
  • Like 2