Menu

MCT with Mosdos?

bwdiaz

Can anyone who has used MCT for LA and/or Mosdos comment on whether it's overkill to do both? Mosdos seems like Lit to me but I've been told there's a lot of overlap. The student is an 8 year old 3rd grader who has had no grammar yet.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be using both but I do not have personal experience yet. I have starting using MCT and I would not use it alone.

MistyMountain - I'm curious as to why you would not use it alone and what you use along with it?

OP- I have no knowledge of Mosdos but started using MCT's Island level last year with my then 2nd grade 7 yr old boy and he & I have both loved it. We are planning to finish the Island level books this 3rd grade year.

• Like 1

I like it for grammar and I heard good things about other components but I do feel my kids need more explicit writing instruction. My child loved it so I am sticking with it for that reason. I have not used the literature component of it because I do like how Mosdos literature sounds.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1

For that age, I would just use MCT. Both my kids used his program and it was great for us. I only added spelling through grade 7. In middle school I did mix in SWB's writing with skill to be sure we had more direct instruction. I follow the literature suggestions (and philosophy) of MCT and SWB and focus on reading and discussion and only added writing about the books in upper grades. Both my kids love to read, so I think that was a success (and my oldest tested very well and is off to college in the fall).

For test prep, my daughter worked through Analytical Grammar for review because she had finished the MCT program. She reviewed MCT's Word Within the Word to keep up with the vocabulary.

Regards,

Debbie in Maryland