Menu

Advice on Spelling/Vocab

keptwoman

We are using SWR for spelling right now and don't do it more often than we do do it. I have found the markings and rules really good to learn but the lists are just too random and the words are not being retained. Plus DS is a fairly natural speller and I'm not sure that he is gaining much with SWR

I'm also feeling burnt out and need something that can be completed pretty independently.

I want to ditch spelling in favour of Vocab. I was thinking about using either Wordly Wise or Vocab from Classical Roots.

Can anyone tell me about either of these programs. What would/do you use and why?

Edited by keptwoman

We are using SWR for spelling right now and don't do it more often than we do do it. I have found the markings and rules really good to learn but the lists are just too random and the words are not being retained. Plus DS is a fairly natural speller and I'm not sure that he is gaining much with SWR

I'm also feeling burnt out and need something that can be completed pretty independently.

I want to ditch spelling in favour of Vocab. I was thinking about using either Wordly Wise or Vocab from Classical Roots.

Can anyone tell me about either of these programs. What would/do you use and why?

If you are satisfied that your son has learned the rules and sounds well, then you can just go ahead and *use* these skills in his writing. If he spells a word wrong, then have him get out his spelling notebook and dictate the word correctly to him, and have him mark it up while he recites the rules and sounds he is marking. It'll take all of a minute or two, and it will actually apply the skills he has learned in SWR. This is what I do for ds10, who zoomed through Writing Road to Reading by 3rd grade.

I started VFCR A this year for ds. I originally started it because it was recommended in WTM for 5th grade and on if a child was done a spelling program. I like it better than Wordly Wise because you memorize root words from Latin and Greek, and then use those to learn English words. I only have ds memorize the roots, not the English derivatives. He works with the English derivatives in the lesson exercises, though, so his brain is getting a workout with applying the root knowledge. I think it will serve him well in more advanced reading, to be able to apply the roots knowledge, than to memorize thousands of derivative definitions.

Thanks both of you.

VFCR it is then. DH and I were talking last night about a word and trying to work out what it meant from it's roots. I can hold my breath and hope the boys actually enjoy it like I will :rofl:

Colleen what a great idea to continue to use the spelling notebook to put spelling mistakes in. Thanks! I'll definitely do that.