Menu

Pearson Literature

Next year will be our first year homeschooling. I am lost on what to do for Language Arts, especially for my son that will be going into 9th grade and has been attending public school. Has anyone used Pearson Literature? If so, what are your thoughts on it. If not, what have you used that worked well. Thanks

Are you asking about the Pearson/Prentice Hall Literature textbooks? If so, we use those. I can't tell if that's what you're asking about or if it's something else.

I'm not sure if it's the same or not. But here is a link to what I'm referring to http://www.pearsonhomeschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PS2vTu&PMDbSiteId=5041&PMDbSolutionId=36022&PMDbSubSolutionId=&PMDbCategoryId=36026&PMDbSubCategoryId=42382&PMDbSubjectAreaId=&PMDbProgramId=148244

I was looking at what Timberdoodle included in their 9th grade kit to get some ideas and that was one of the thing they included for Language Arts

OK, I think what we use is different.  Ours is a public school English textbook.  

Here it is:  https://www.amazon.com/Prentice-Hall-Literature-British-Tradition/dp/0131317202/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496360271&sr=8-2&keywords=prentice+hall+literature+penguin+edition+British+literature

We used British Tradition this year and I have the American Literature textbook + I just ordered the World Literature textbook.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

• Like 1

OK, I think what we use is different.  Ours is a public school English textbook.  

Here it is:  https://www.amazon.com/Prentice-Hall-Literature-British-Tradition/dp/0131317202/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496360271&sr=8-2&keywords=prentice+hall+literature+penguin+edition+British+literature

We used British Tradition this year and I have the American Literature textbook + I just ordered the World Literature textbook.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Are full length novels and works utilized in this course, or only excerpts? Is full literature analysis dicussed? Can you flesh out more of what the text offers and entails?

Evanthe, do you use anything else along with it? I'm so confused as to what is needed to fulfill an English course. I am also looking at Illuminating Literature: When Worlds Collide.

Yeah, we're eternally confused too.  Our high school is basically "what looks interesting" and "what do we have time for".  For English, my kids are doing:

Latin/Greek word root flashcards (they really like languages)

Daily Grammar.com for review (I insisted on this and they only tolerate it)

Bravewriter

World Literature textbook

A couple of Shakespearean plays (we read 2 last year)

Books about folk tales/myths/legends from around the world (sounds cheesy, but my kids were really interested in this- Lol)

• Like 1

I don't use a set curriculum for high school, but for your first year homeschooling it may be the easiest thing to do.

English is mostly literature and writing. I teach grammar as needed. I pick and choose what I think is best or most interesting. I've used a lot of Brave Writer classes as well as Center for Literature. I do some ACT/SAT review and target specific areas that need to be worked on. This year I have one student doing an online AP course.

• Like 2