Menu

Critical Thinking Series users...

angela&4boys

If you look at the another thread from today "Logic Woes" by Julie in Austin, you'll see that several of us dumped Critical Thinking for logic, and you can read about what we did instead. There have been other threads about the series, and the consensus seems to be that most people don't like it (though some manage to stick with it).

I don't like it because it is written for classroom use, so the exercizes and questions presume a group of students. You can adapt it, of course, but it does make it less user friendly for the homeschooling mom. I also found the layout to be really cluttered and the seem to remember the lessons weren't always clear. It is odd, too, because the company puts out so many other good titles that are much easier to use.

Fallacy Detective is great, the Dandylion series is great, and for teens Traditional Logic is great.

I see this is recommended in The WTM for the Logic Stage and I'm considering it for our 11yo. Please share your opinions of the program and at what age you begin using it.

then I gave up, and we did DandyLion Logic and this year are doing Intro to Logic.

BUT - the thing that really got to me about the Critical Thinking books was the subject matter being so far beyond my ds's life experiences at 12yo. Things like high school graduation requirements, driving experiences, taxes, etc. I don't remember specifics but I do remember trying to explain "this is the way the world works" a lot!

My current 5th grader (11yo) is doing Mind Benders and Building Thinking Skills-2.

For 6th grade, I'm planning on doing the DandyLion Logic, Thinking Toolbox, and Fallacy Detective.

In 7th and 8th we'll do the Intro to Logic and Intermediate Logic. (Although, so far my 8th grader is doing fairly well completing the Intro to Logic in one semester....)

Best wishes!

Rhonda

I see this is recommended in The WTM for the Logic Stage and I'm considering it for our 11yo. Please share your opinions of the program and at what age you begin using it.

I think WTMindy is using it, and we plan to next year. I've looked through it already, and will gear up to adapt it. I remember reading somewhere on these boards some good reasons for using it over a couple of the other recs, but I can't remember what they were. It had something to do with specific skills that are covered, I think. Maybe WTMindy will see this thread, or you can PM her and ask how it's going.