Menu

NVM

ErinE

Congrats of the Vizsla. My Vizsla, Chester, turned 3 in April.

I think you vet is recommending classes to provide "distractions," as commands are not mastered if the dog/pup chooses when to listen and when not to listen.

Personally, I don't teach "tricks." I especially dislike "shaking hands" (my own idiosyncrasy).

I do focus (beyond the basics) on such things as observing thresholds and limits. For example, learning to sit and released to pass through doors (especially the front) as opposed to taking an open door as an invitation to bolt through it.

Leaving the curb (to enter the street) is an absolute no-go.

I teach "yard" (which means don't exit the confines of our front yard when I'm out doing such things as yard work).

I always teach a "whoa" command (to freeze a dog in its tracks). 

I make him wait, either standing after a "whoa" or sitting after a sit-stay before every meal.

I train for a bath/shower routine. Vs are easy to clean, but having one who will pop into the tub for a shower then wait for drying off is a good thing.

I have multiple recalls, so others can call him in (with some room for them to "pollute" the command word with lack of consistent follow-up) in addition to recall commands reserved for me that need to be perfect.

I teach several forms of heel, (loose, tight, and show) with different command words.

Same with different forms of "fetch" from casual to very precise.

I like to overly both hand and whistle signals to the basic commands (and like the ACME "silent" [not really silent] whistle as I can call him in from a long way without too much racket.

Get your hand in his mouth a lot at this age. If he bites go deeper.

Be prepared to get out a lot. Young Vs love to run.

Bill