Menu

piano instruction guides

Yesterday I scored a free keyboard and stand. Problem is I don't know how to play the piano, so can anyone recommend good instructional books, beginner music books for me to teach the kids, also ones that I can use to teach myself (It has always been a goal of mine to learn the piano). Also how young do you start instruction on the piano?

We love the Faber Piano Adventure series. Nearly every music store will carry them. They are inexpensive (about $10), very clear, methodical, and *anyone* can use them.

Start with the primer level. Each level comes with several book options: Lesson book, theory book, technique book, and performance book. With my oldest ds we used all 4 together (the notes in the margins explain which pages to use together). But with the next 2 ds', I only use the lesson book. If you only get the lesson book, you will do just fine.

Each level also has extra books you can get, for fun: popular pieces, hymns, ragtime, Christmas songs, etc. Those aren't necessary, but are lots of fun.

Enjoy!