Menu

Analytical Grammar vs Easy Grammar Plus

LindaOz

Can anyone compare Analytical Grammar with Easy Grammar Plus? Are they both aimed at similar grade levels? How do they compare in regards to concepts covered and depth of instruction? Could EGP be started without having done the earlier Easy Grammar books?

Thanks for your help.

Can anyone compare Analytical Grammar with Easy Grammar Plus? Are they both aimed at similar grade levels? How do they compare in regards to concepts covered and depth of instruction? Could EGP be started without having done the earlier Easy Grammar books?

Thanks for your help.

Linda,

I only have used JAG. I looked into moving to EG, but ended up staying with JAG.

Both have you find the prepositional phrases before the subject and verb.

The order taught in JAG (as far as we have gotten):

Nouns

Articles

Adjectives

Pronouns

Prepositional Phrases (you start diagramming here)

Subject

Verb

Adverbs

JAG/AG I know don't work on punctuation till the end and the samples have EG working on them early and reviewing a lot. If I remember right I don't think EG has diagramming...or doesn't have it till High School? But that might not be correct. I know I didn't see any in the samples. JAG encourages you to make 3x5 cards to help you with the order, process and has word lists very much like Winston Grammar provides, if you are familiar with it. I appreciate this cheat sheet approach EG focuses more on memorization of prepositions.

I do find my dd, who has had little grammar, needed me to work with her to learn the material. I tried to have her do it on her own, but she flailed around like a fish out of water. In the end I stuck with JAG mostly because EG had a lot of repetitious work, and this child doesn't usually need repetition.

Oh and I e-mailed and asked EG about where to start, and they told me all the books include review of the earlier years, so you just start them at grade level, even if they have not used EG previously or have no grammar knowledge.

Heather