Menu

Handwriting to fix bad habits

sdobis

Is there a program out there that would be the best to fix mistakes? I'll be homeschooling a 2nd grader coming out of public school. She's not my daughter, so I am just now noticing her weird letter formation.

She hold her pencil correctly. Her handwriting is not that bad, considering that she forms them strangely. For example, her 9 begins on the circle at 9 o'clock. She goes clockwise 1.5 times until she hits the 3 o'clock point. Then straight down to finish the 9. Make sense?

What would best correct this?

I really like Handwriting Without Tears for the methods (even if you don't like how it "looks," I find that a kid's writing really won't look like that anyway). You'll probably need to sit with her for handwriting time though, to make sure she's practicing correctly--it's hard to undo when wrong habits have been ingrained already, but I found the methods in HWT gave us a common lingo for talking about where to start and other formation issues.

• Like 2

I really like Handwriting Without Tears for the methods (even if you don't like how it "looks," I find that a kid's writing really won't look like that anyway). You'll probably need to sit with her for handwriting time though, to make sure she's practicing correctly--it's hard to undo when wrong habits have been ingrained already, but I found the methods in HWT gave us a common lingo for talking about where to start and other formation issues.

I figured HWT would be the best option, but I've never dealt with incorrect letter formation before. I'm going to check them out more.

• Like 1

We had a similar struggle. We did some HWOT (I should have done more in hindsight with more large motor movement incorporated) copy work with starting dots as reminders, etc. Starting LOE's Rhythm of Handwriting cursive this year has been the best thing yet. That said, we are still working on the number formation corrections, but the letters are much better switching to cursive.