Menu

Thoughts on Catholics using Apologia's Who is God book?

Meadowlark

We are Catholic, yes, but I'm also not afraid of using other materials, as long as they're not anti-Catholic of course. This 4 volume series looks interesting to me because it seems to be very conversational and bring things down to the kids level. I'm looking for something that will spark meaningful conversations and bring my boys and I closer-through discussion about God. But without having it in hand, I'm just not sure what it's all about.

I'm not Catholic myself but I don't think something has to be "anti" a certain tradition to have things in it that don't agree with that tradition's theology. As a Lutheran I wouldn't use evangelical/non-denominational materials (at least not that I couldn't read every word of first) because it's safe to assume they will have "making a decision for Christ" and assertions or at least assumption that the sacraments are purely symbolic, as well as other subtler differences of emphasis from what is taught in my own tradition. It says it's a "worldview" program and I guess I question why someone who isn't evangelical Protestant would want to develop evangelical Protestant "worldview" in their children, and more generally I wonder why people do religious education through a few homeschool-specific providers when it is an area with an abundance of general resources. With a bit of digging, I was able to find a free, comprehensive Bible curriculum from my tradition online, and unlike Catholicism my tradition isn't a particularly populous one.

Certainly the Catholic tradition has an abundance of resources. Are you aware of St. Patrick's Summer by Marigold Hunt? I haven't read it but the previews look wonderful: St. Patrick time-travels two children through the great moments of church history, teaching them theology in a chatty way as they go. I think if you look around the websites of Catholic publishers you will find all sorts of things.

• Like 3

I'm Catholic, and also was a Lutheran on my path (among other things!). So I'm pretty sensitive to the nuances. Personally I stay away from Apologia if I can. Not because it's a bad curricula--it's great for many people--but not for me. (Plus I don't agree with its emphasis on young earth, a theory that the Catholic Church has said we are free to pursue or discard. ). anywyay, I would personally look elsewhere.

• Like 2

I was raised Catholic and I understand and resonate with your feelings in this matter.

I thought that Apologia Who is God put Catholics in the category of other religions....they have these little stories interwoven, about cults and other faiths such as Buddhist, Mormon, etc....and ...they never said Catholicism is false, but they included it in these stories sections about kids from other faiths.

SO IMO that is sending a strong, clear (and IMO untrue!) message that Catholicism is not Christianity. 

That was frustrating to me and I even recall having a conversation with my kids about it.

• Like 2

I looked at both the description and the TOC...I would not use this series. There are so many wonderful Catholic materials out there for your age dc. As a pp mentioned, Marigold Hunt's books are always good. Catholic Heritage Curricula has nice things for younger children as well. Good luck!

• Like 1