Menu

Abandon teaching cursive first with younger siblings?

I'm wondering if anyone with multiple children who taught one or more cursive first and the other children manuscript first, or vice versa, would be willing to share some of the pros and cons you discovered. If you were teaching another child, which way would you choose, now that you have tried it both ways? I taught my oldest cursive first but am considering teaching his sisters to print first, followed by a quick intro to cursive for composition once the manuscript is mastered. I would be using LOE manuscript style.

Edited by lacell

I'm wondering if anyone with multiple children who taught one or more cursive first and the other children manuscript first, or vice versa, would be willing to share some of the pros and cons you discovered. If you were teaching another child, which way would you choose, now that you have tried it both ways? I taught my oldest cursive first but am considering teaching his sisters to print first, followed by a quick intro to cursive for composition once the manuscript is mastered. I would be using LOE manuscript style.

I taught oldest manuscript first, and cursive in 5th. I taught second child manuscript (HWoT) first and the cursive in 2nd (Rhythm of Handwriting) simultaneously with third child in K.

Honestly, they all preferred manuscript. I had them do copywork for two years in cursive, but they still preferred manuscript. I didn't notice any difference in their reading/spelling/writing based. So for us cursive first wasn't a pro or a con.