Menu

Algebra Program for 8th grader

daisyeyes

We are bringing our rising 8th grader home from PS next year and I'm trying to figure out the best math program for him.

He is in advanced math right now (essentially pre-algebra) and has placed into the algebra level for MUS.

We use MUS with our current 4th grader and we've loved it - but I'm a little nervous about starting it fresh with my son.

Does anyone have any experience with starting MUS at the algebra level...

and/or using TT or Jacob's or Saxon?

Which of these might provide the rigor that he needs for an advanced math student but also won't shake him up bc it's a new program and way of teaching?

I would not use the upper levels of MUS with a math student who does not have special needs related to math.  I am a huge fan of Jacobs Algebra, but I recommend that you teach the lessons yourself and go through some practice problems with him each day to be sure he understands what he's supposed to be doing.  Of all of the programs you mentioned, IMO, Jacobs is the most rigorous.

If you would prefer video lessons, Derek Owens is excellent.  As a bonus, his courses go all the way through calculus, he provides grading, and will answer questions.

Go to Sonlight. com and run off some of the placement tests. I suggest Saxon, but there are several to choose from. Avoid Teaching Text Books. They run behind the other home school curriculum. Saxon has a DVD program by Art Reed to go with them to help instruct. They are very good. Good luck on your 1st year home schooling!