Menu

3rd grade language arts plan?

For my son next year, I am thinking about doing FLL3, Evan Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing grade 3, Evan Moor grade 3 Building Spelling Skills, and Memoria Press grade 3. This should cover grammar, writing, spelling, reading out loud practice for him, vocab and reading comp. (We will also use AO year 3 poetry and we are working through the SCM younger students book groups for family read-alouds). 

EM spelling has dictation once a week, but not quality sentences. We do narrations for history and science 3 or 4 times a week.

I am worried that in doing FLL and EM 6-Trait that I am going to lose something I would have by continuing to do FLL and WWE. But he is getting burnt out on that combination and he desperately wants to learn how to write independently. That's what he is asking for, hence me wanting to switch to a more mechanical approach, like EM.

Is there copywork and dictation in FLL3 like there has been in FLL1 and 2? How many days a week do you do copywork, narration and dictation in 3rd grade? I don't want to add too much writing to an already full LA plan, but I don't want him to miss out on the benefits of copywork/narration/dictation.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

There is some copywork and dictation, but I wouldn't say it shows up regularly, even on a weekly basis.  If you wanted to add more dictation and copy work, maybe you could use parts of his narrations in science and history once or twice a week?  One day he could copy a few sentences he narrated to you, one day he could write from dictation a few sentences?  If it's "quality" sentences you want him to copy or take from dictation, maybe find some from his MP reading?

wanted to add:

Do you have the Writing with Ease text (not the workbooks, but the little hardcover book?)  It helps you choose appropriate sentences for copywork and dictation on your own.  

Edited by Tawlas

There is some copywork and dictation, but I wouldn't say it shows up regularly, even on a weekly basis.  If you wanted to add more dictation and copy work, maybe you could use parts of his narrations in science and history once or twice a week?  One day he could copy a few sentences he narrated to you, one day he could write from dictation a few sentences?  If it's "quality" sentences you want him to copy or take from dictation, maybe find some from his MP reading?

wanted to add:

Do you have the Writing with Ease text (not the workbooks, but the little hardcover book?)  It helps you choose appropriate sentences for copywork and dictation on your own.  

Thanks for responding! I don't have the WWE text, only the workbooks. I think I could probably pick from our Bible verses, hymn study, poetry or read alouds. I am not necessarily concerned about finding things. I guess I am trying to figure out how much copywork, narration, and dictation other people assign who don't use WWE or a SCM workbook. 

Thanks for responding! I don't have the WWE text, only the workbooks. I think I could probably pick from our Bible verses, hymn study, poetry or read alouds. I am not necessarily concerned about finding things. I guess I am trying to figure out how much copywork, narration, and dictation other people assign who don't use WWE or a SCM workbook.

Have you read TWTM? She certainly lists WWE and FLL as resources, but the bulk of "instruction" is explaining the method wit out specific resources. I don't have my notes at the moment, but I believe she recommends 2-3 sessions of copywork/dictation and 3-4 narrations (oral or written) per week.