Menu

The Reading Lesson or Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading

jmjs4

For phonics I am planning to use Explode the Code and either The Reading Lesson or Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.  Which one would you recommend for a child that is already reading CVC words and some blends.  He isn't reading fluently, and still sounds out most words.

I haven't used The Reading Lesson and have only used Ordinary Parents Guide. I LOVE OPGTR. It is open and go and straightforward. We are 2 lessons away from finishing it with my 5 year old. It has given her a solid foundation in phonics. We did supplement with BOB Book and then early readers and games I found on Pinterest

OPGTR has worked well for us - started with a child at about the level you mentioned and jumped in partway through the book. I don't adore it, but it works very well. It's incremental and doesn't take ages every day.

I don't have any experience with The Reading Lesson though.

I started with the Reading Lesson but my daughter burned out on it after we'd gone through about half of the text. We used a few things afterwards (CLE LTR and AAR 2) and are now back to OPGTR because I don't have the budget to buy another level of AAR this year. 

I really like how OPGTR is laid out. It's so no-nonsense and straightforward. My daughter's reading has taken off to the point where she can almost test out of AAR3, so I may just finish up OPGTR and go to AAR 4 next year.