Menu

Help me pick my next historical fiction read aloud

tmstranger

We're doing SOTW 3 and we read aloud daily.  I usually alternate between historical fiction, classics, and other good modern literature that I think they'd like.

Generally, I look at lists such as Sonlight, BYL, etc. to find good books.  We are at the time period right after the American Revolution and I have my books narrowed down to these three:

Stowaway

Fever 1793

The Ghost at the Tokaido Inn  

We have plenty of time to read more books, but I know I won't get all 3 of these in.  I have to drop one...maybe two because I still have a long list of other beyond this! I need more hours in the day!!

Do you have a favorite here?  If you could only read one of these, which one would you choose? My library has all 3, so that's not an issue.

Those are all excellent!

Definitely do Tokkaido Inn... just because it's non-US history and there are a lot fewer great historical fiction options for that and it's a great story - both historically informative and also just a well-crafted little mystery novel for kids. There are sequels too.

We really liked Stowaway, but it's slower than Fever. And Laurie Halse Anderson is so good. But I like her Seeds of America series better. But if you're trying to limit then that's obviously longer, being a whole series.

• Like 1