Menu

Science in the Beginning in a weekly Co-op class?? Any insight??

When I chatted with Dr. Wile about his course and how to do it in a co-op, he recommended to me to do the experiments/demos in class first with you with the reading and homework to be done after class. What I have done with the two texts I taught through group lessons together. So, I went through the book and figured out how many weeks and worked backwards to figure out how to group lessons. Sometimes I cover 2 and sometimes I have covered 4-5 when I scheduled out the Science in the Ancient World and Science in the Scientific Revolution. I tried to group by scientist and make logical breaks in the material. For the first book, it will be far more topical than the following books are.

It is a little challenging for the kids since we are doing the experiments without having done the reading to set up the experiments. I try to give a little synopsis to set up the background/topic for some context for each. 

I've taught from the first three books in a classroom setting (small classical school with homeschoolers joining in the class), typically covering a lesson in a 45-minute period. This includes a review of the previous lesson, intro to the new material, experiment, and any in-class work on notebooking. We meet twice a week. We do it all in class, with no homework. I usually cover the main lesson information myself in class with student discussion, rather than the students reading the lessons—we sometimes read excerpts out loud in class together. 

What ages/grade levels will you be working with? Ages will make a big difference on how you may wish to cover it. I did Science in the Beginning with kindergarteners through fourth graders all together, but now split up K through 3rd and 4th through 6th. The younger group needs more time and/or adaptations for how we discuss a particular experiment. How many students? The materials you have available to do a particular experiment can be a limiting factor, along with how much guidance and supervision the students need.

I also adapted a SITB notebooking resource that Wile has for download on his site (https://www.bereanbuilders.com/mkt/res/nb/9780989042406nb.pdf). It has pages that are useful for recording experiment observations.

Erica in OR

I also adapted a SITB notebooking resource that Wile has for download on his site (https://www.bereanbuilders.com/mkt/res/nb/9780989042406nb.pdf). It has pages that are useful for recording experiment observations.

Erica in OR

Do notebook pages like those exist for the 3rd book(scientific revolution)? I'm considering it for next year's science. Thanks!

Do notebook pages like those exist for the 3rd book(scientific revolution)? I'm considering it for next year's science. Thanks!

Not that I've seen on his website. It has a phrase for it in the download list for that text, but no link? I did a quick google search and see one for purchase on Teachers Pay Teachers.

Erica in OR