Menu

Which notebook journal for Apologia General Science?

Can anyone compare the notebook journals from Apologia vs the ones from Knowledge Box Central?  Are there any others I should be aware of? 

We're in Canada, so the price of the print journals from Apologia adds up.  I'd need 2.  I also found that the journals were hit and miss this year (using Zoology 3) so I am undecided if we will find them more useful for General or not...

The Apologia one was SO much easier to use than the Knowledge Box Central one that I tried. I liked that the Apologia one had all of the On Your Own questions written in the journal, and all of the Study Guide questions written in--easy to follow and answer. I've only used the one for Advanced bio, but I've seen some of the earlier ones. The one for general did include some extra things that I might skip if I had a student at that point (not that they weren't helpful to do, just that my kids had enough to do at that age with the regular assignments). The lab report section was helpful too. I tried the KBO one for the regular biology course, and mainly ended up using it for the lab reports. The one I had was all printables from a disk, and sometimes it was a pain to try to find just the pages I wanted while wading through pages of lapbook and notebooking ideas that my student just wasn't going to use. I can't remember now if they had pages for the OYO questions and the Study Guide--If it did, I probably decided at that point it was just as easy to use the text book and a note book rather than printing out loose pages we'd likely lose. 

I really liked that the Apologia one was all printed and bound, we could use some tab dividers to mark the different sections (current lesson, lab reports section, glossary)--it just seemed to simplify things for us this year, whereas the KBO one was extra work for me and not a lot of simplifying.

HTH some as you weigh the pros and cons--I know shipping to Canada adds up too. 

• Like 1

The Apologia one was SO much easier to use than the Knowledge Box Central one that I tried. I liked that the Apologia one had all of the On Your Own questions written in the journal, and all of the Study Guide questions written in--easy to follow and answer. I've only used the one for Advanced bio, but I've seen some of the earlier ones. The one for general did include some extra things that I might skip if I had a student at that point (not that they weren't helpful to do, just that my kids had enough to do at that age with the regular assignments). The lab report section was helpful too. I tried the KBO one for the regular biology course, and mainly ended up using it for the lab reports. The one I had was all printables from a disk, and sometimes it was a pain to try to find just the pages I wanted while wading through pages of lapbook and notebooking ideas that my student just wasn't going to use. I can't remember now if they had pages for the OYO questions and the Study Guide--If it did, I probably decided at that point it was just as easy to use the text book and a note book rather than printing out loose pages we'd likely lose. 

I really liked that the Apologia one was all printed and bound, we could use some tab dividers to mark the different sections (current lesson, lab reports section, glossary)--it just seemed to simplify things for us this year, whereas the KBO one was extra work for me and not a lot of simplifying.

HTH some as you weigh the pros and cons--I know shipping to Canada adds up too. 

Thank you, Merry!  That was very helpful!  I wondered how annoying it would be to navigate the 600+ pages that Knowledge Box has. 

• Like 1