Menu

Elemental Science Biology Logic in One Semester?

Maryam

My dd (6th grade) is so DONE with Holt's Earth Science. She's finished a good portion of the book. She's very bright but finds the book and subject matter incredibly boring. Would it be crazy to just stop Earth Science (consider it a half credit?) and move on to Biology? Would it be possible to complete Elemental Science Biology (Logic Stage) in 18 weeks instead of 36? That way, she could just move on to Physical Science next year.

Edited to add: I already have all the books for Elemental so it would be the most convenient option and she seems excited about the setup (her little sister is doing E.S.Grammar Stage)

Edited by Maryam

We are doing ES Logic Stage Earth Science.  It's a lot of work...for my kid.  I guess it depends on how much time you can put into it. 

Each week, there is an experiment, sketch to color and label, dates for the timeline, reading and additional reading, and finally, the report.  My son doesn't love science, but he works quickly.  If I need him to "catch up" and do a lot one week, it's manageable, but I don't think he could keep up the pace for 18 weeks. 

My dd (6th grade) is so DONE with Holt's Earth Science. She's finished a good portion of the book. She's very bright but finds the book and subject matter incredibly boring. Would it be crazy to just stop Earth Science (consider it a half credit?) and move on to Biology? Would it be possible to complete Elemental Science Biology (Logic Stage) in 18 weeks instead of 36? That way, she could just move on to Physical Science next year.

Edited to add: I already have all the books for Elemental so it would be the most convenient option and she seems excited about the setup (her little sister is doing E.S.Grammar Stage)

Do you need to track credits in 6th grade?  If not, I would just not do every single thing as scheduled in the Teacher's Guide.  If you want to do more, can you go into summer a bit?

My boys are in 6th and we don't have to track credits.  For the first time (we started homeschooling in K), instead of doing a full curriculum as outlined (I used the ES Grammar Series), I am actually just making sure I cover all the main topics in Biology, Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, and Chemistry as discussed in the WTM for the Logic Stage and following this now too https://www.amazon.com/Everything-You-Need-Science-Notebook/dp/0761160957/ref=s9_simh_gw_g14_i7_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=Q2GFVXV2SX6G3NWWNQPR&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=eb9ac4a9-d041-464c-ba95-b917feeb4f84&pf_rd_i=desktop .  I borrowed this from the library and I'm getting ready to purchase 2 for my twins so they each have one.

I'm using living books, documentaries, some narration/outlining, the Tiner series (questions and tests), picking my experiements carefully, some Ellen McHenry, Bite-Sized Physics, puzzles (we are currently working on a 1,000 piece puzzle of the periodic table), etc.  I want them to do a bigger research project or science fair too.  I don't know, my boys get tired of all the busy work sometimes and then we slow down.  They love science when they get to do the stuff I've listed.  Just a thought :-)

Edited my boo-boos :-)

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1