Menu

Luann in ID (or anyone else using Biblioplan/Medieval)

anewday

In a recent thread on Biblioplan, you said,

I spent a few minutes today cross-referencing SOTW chapters with the week they are used in Biblioplan (if that makes sense). This way I can use Biblioplan suggestions, but do SOTW in the order it was written. Biblioplan makes wonderful book recommendations and writing suggestions, especially for the logic stage. I'm glad I got it.

We're just beginning Biblioplan this week and in preparation, I have been disappointed in the clumping of chapters - not so much the idea of skipping around SOTW. IMO, it is just way too much to read 2 full chapters in SOTW in a day. We took 4 days for it before this, and I liked that pace. I don't want to drop the narrations or the AG - and neither are scheduled in Biblioplan.

I initially purchased it to seguay more biblical history into SOTW. History has flowed so well for us this past year - both with teacher prep and how much the kiddos got from it and loved it. I'm leery of changing it up now when it worked so well as is.

Anyhow, my question is - are you finding the tweaking of Biblioplan to be a lot of work? Can you give me an idea of what you're doing and how it's been going for you? I would love to glean some ideas and hear from someone else doing it who had similar reservations about it. I hate tweaking detailed schedules out - that was just one reason I love SOTW - it's specific enough to lead you through it weekly, but without the "schedule". With BP, I'm either going to have to go with it as is (and not like it - LOL) or try to keep the same schedule as SOTW and tweak it to death (which sounds like I'll burn out on it by about week 5- ACK!). LOL

Thanks!!:)

Dawn,

I ended up changing my mind on that and have been using Biblioplan as written...sort of. ;) I spread out over the week the chapters they have scheduled for that week. We don't ever do two chapters in a day. This has worked out well for us so far.

My only complaint so far is that overall 13yods hasn't enjoyed the books as much as he enjoyed Sonlight's. However, the books do tend to be higher literary quality than Sonlight's so...I'm not sure how I feel about it all just yet. We've been adding in some Sonlight books to keep him happy.

Dawn,

I ended up changing my mind on that and have been using Biblioplan as written...sort of. ;) I spread out over the week the chapters they have scheduled for that week. We don't ever do two chapters in a day. This has worked out well for us so far.

My only complaint so far is that overall 13yods hasn't enjoyed the books as much as he enjoyed Sonlight's. However, the books do tend to be higher literary quality than Sonlight's so...I'm not sure how I feel about it all just yet. We've been adding in some Sonlight books to keep him happy.

Thanks, Luann! :001_smile: I think I'll spread the readings out also.

Are you doing narrations or any of the AG guide?

Dawn,

:iagree: We're doing exactly the same thing. I spread SOTW over the week for two reasons. The first is that 2 chapters is a lot of reading in one day, and the second is that my children adore SOTW. They cheer on the days we're reading from SOTW. :001_smile:

Thanks, Luann! :001_smile: I think I'll spread the readings out also.

Are you doing narrations or any of the AG guide?

Yes, we have done nearly all the narrations. I think we might have skipped one on a particularly sunny, beautiful day. We frequently get to some of the extra books recommended in the Activity Guide and have never been disappointed. Mary Pope Osborne's Medieval Tales (not sure of the exact title) is fantastic. We haven't done any of the actual activities as there is simply enough activity going on in this house without adding one more thing. ;) We did make the lentil soup, though, one night when I was desperate for a quick dinner, and it was delish. HTH.

I'm one year ahead on the Biblioplan/SOTW road, and basically do what y'all are discussing. On those weeks where there are many SOTW chapters, we spread them out. Last week there were 4 scheduled and more than 3 just feels like too many so I pushed one to this week. And you know, Biblioplan is just 36 weeks and since we start school in August there is room in the schedule to sometimes take a few extra days on a topic which we are doing right now for slavery. There will also be weeks without SOTW and I always like those because we have more time for the other great reading. In addition to Bibliplan books in more than 1 age bracket, we try to fit in some of the AG reading too (usually lit choices) if they are in our library. Sometimes it's a lot, but it's never really drudgery to us--so many wonderful books! And as much as we like SOTW, I really like what Biblioplan adds to it. You will get a much more complete study of the Renaissance when you get there. Enjoy!