Menu

Question about master reading lists for college applications

jjeepa

Ds is still applying and added a more selective school to his list.  This has me reviewing all of my materials.  So, my question is about how to submit a master reading list.  The course descriptions have all of the books he read for each subject of course, except for books read for pleasure.  I'm just wondering if I should have a master list?  If so, how would I submit it on common app?  Should I add it to the course descriptions at the end as kind of a summation of reading?  I'm application weary at this point and sooooo ready to be done.  

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 1

I kept a master list of reading, but choose not to submit it. My son just got admitted to Vanderbilt without it. He reads 100+ books a year, but we never highlighted this anywhere.

I would recommend two things:

1) If you want to submit it, I'd add it as either an addendum to your course descriptions or a separate document submitted as an additional transcript.

2) Consider asking an admission counselor if this would be helpful. I did email our admission counselor with a few specific questions such as if I should weight AP grades (no) or list anything as Honors (no). She said my classes and course descriptions would stand on their own.

• Like 1

Congrats on his acceptance!  I lived in Nashville for 14 years and worked for Vanderbilt Hospital for 9 of those.  VU is a fantastic school and Nashville a terrific city.  I hope it's a positive experience for him!  

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will email the school's admissions counselor tomorrow and see what they recommend.  My son's reading lists per year does not come close to 100 (that's impressive), but his reading is quite diverse and I am thinking that it might be of interest to some schools.